3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 1:55 PM by pixlor

Expand fireworks created website

Danny-K-

Hi all & thank you for an excellent forum.

My question is this - I have created a website in fireworks & transferred it to dreamweaver. My site has the meu bar to the left hand side.  All is well & everything works fine until I put more text in the text box & it pushes all the graphics out at the bottom. Is there a way in fireworks (or maybe dreamweaver) that when i add text then it automatically expand the box keeping my menu intact but expnding it? I hope I've explained it all properly..!

Thanks

Danny

• 1. Re: Expand fireworks created website
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Don't build your websites in Fireworks. Use it to create your graphics 

and use Dreamweaver to build the real site. The html generated by 

Fireworks produces and image-based, rigid table layout that is not 

designed to handle the addition of content. It's fine for web site 

prototyping, but not good as the the code for the final site.

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Expand fireworks created website
            Danny-K- Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I definately think the easiest (& quickest) way to build a site is through fireworks as the control is absolute. I realise that this is also a lazy way of doing it & I will definately be exploring the dreamweaver side of life by importing graphics, as you said.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

• 3. Re: Expand fireworks created website
              pixlor Level 4

Danny-K- wrote:

I definately think the easiest (& quickest) way to build a site is through fireworks as the control is absolute.

That "absolute control" is why your layout breaks when you try to add content to it. It's "absolutely controlled" to the Fireworks layout.

"Control" on the Web is an illusion. If you want something to be "just so," then you need to use Flash or make .pdf files. Otherwise, you need to learn to build flexibly. Your visitors all have different monitors than you do. They'll use different browsers. Some have different operating systems. Many will want to use a larger font size than what you specify and bump it up. You need to design for this flexibility. It is easier to design flexibly than to try to lock a design down tightly.