7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 3:25 PM by the_wine_snob
      • 1. Re: Text animation - Color changing
        the_wine_snob Level 9

Changing the color of Type in Titles can be as easy as doing two different Titles, with say the Type in green on one, and in red on the other. Add these to the same Video Track and place a Transisition of choice between them. However, it can get rather involved, depending on what you want. More details will help.

Two other options would be BluffTitler, or ProDAD's Heroglyph.

Let us know exactly what you want to happen, and someone will give you the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Text animation - Color changing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an example of a simple color change with a Dither Dissolve.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Text animation - Color changing
            tuxracer04 Level 1

Hi Hunt.

I'm using the Timeline view, how do I insert transitions with that?

The text also has to overlay the background video.

For example im trying to make the word "Beautiful" have the "e" turn green after a milisecond.

• 4. Re: Text animation - Color changing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, in that case, you will want to do two Titles and have one above the other. Just crop the version with the green E so that only it will show. You would then add the Transition to the Head of that Title.

I'll set one example up for you, and then provide a screen-cap of the layout.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Text animation - Color changing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Text is the same, you do not even need to Crop it. That would apply only if the Text was different and you wished to replace only the one letter.

Title_Color_Change.jpg

Now, that "millisecond" won't quite be possible, as you can only get to 1/30th of a second - one frame in NTSC, or 1.25th of a second in PAL. You really do not want anything quicker, as your audience will never see it.

Here's an example with just a tad more time and a Dither-dissolve.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Text animation - Color changing
                  tuxracer04 Level 1

Ahhh

very cool , figured it out. So you have to hit "Duplicate" in the Project, then drag the duplicate into the timeline.

i was hitting "copy" in the timeline.

Still involves 2 video tracks but whatever thats fine, its more exact and better then cropping.

Another question. every time i need to do a a "quick" fade in and then have the text appear normal for long period of time then fade out, I use 3 copies of the original title. Is this normal? One for fade in, one for the normal appearance, then another for fade out.

Thanks for the wonderful screenshot..

• 7. Re: Text animation - Color changing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Another question. every time i need to do a a "quick" fade in and then have the text appear normal for long period of time then fade out, I use 3 copies of the original title. Is this normal? One for fade in, one for the normal appearance, then another for fade out.

No need to do this. In the Timeline, just drag the Tail of your one Title out for as long as you wish its Duration to be. If you're doing a lot of longer Titles, and do wish to do that, then in Edit>Preferences, you can set your "Still Duration" to whatever lenght in Frames, you wish. Just remember to set it back, when done, or all of your Titles and Stills will be longer than you might want.

Also, you can adjust the Duration of your Transitions, within reason, by dragging on the Tail of it, but you have probably got that one down, since you mention "quick" fade.

very cool , figured it out. So you have to hit "Duplicate" in the Project, then drag the duplicate into the timeline.

i was hitting "copy" in the timeline.

The two Video Track method is the right way to go. Especially for what you want, there isn't really an easier way to do it. Now, if you wanted a different font for the "E", you could do that too. Depending on how different it is, you may wish to Crop, as the spacing of the other letters might get moved a bit, and no longer line up perfectly.

As for Copy vs Duplicate, I have to think about that one too. In PrPro, where I do most of my work, Titler is a bit different, and there's an icon for "Base New Title on Previous." Every time I am in PE's Titler, I have to rethink a bunch of stuff.

If you are doing much in the way of Title animation, do look into Keyframes (they work for so many other things too), and also the two titling programs that I linked to. Tons of stuff can be done there. Last, with intricated Titles, you might want to look into doing some in PS, or PSE, and then Importing them as Stills, into PE. [One of the beauties of working in PS and then in PrPro, is that all Layers of a PS .PSD image can be separately animated.]

Good luck,

Hunt