9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 8:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...

Jhvegas Level 1

My dilemma: I have a large project (45 minutes and about 2900 clips). It's been created at 8 smaller projects (the way I've always done). My usual workflow is to create a final PP project and import all of the baby projects so I can fine-tune the timeline and the interaction of the parts.

The bummer is, all of those preview files that were rendered need to be re-rendered in the big project, which is taking about 14hours (my projects get up to 9 layers deep at times).

Two Questions:

1. Is it possible to import the preview files when I create the big 'master' project?

2. My destination is Blu-Ray - is it possible to render these projects out and bring the rendered files into the big project w/o quality loss? What would be the best file format to do this?

2.1 - If I import the rendered clips into a new project, then export to Encore, will it re-render those files if they are already blu-ray compliant, or just transfer aross?

Thanks a million in advance!

-Jonathan

• 1. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1. No.

2. Yes.  Lagarith is a good lossless codec for intermediary work.

3. Using the aforementioned Lagarith, the 'big' project will need to be transcoded to either MPEG2 or H.264 for authoring on Blu-ray.  That can be done either in Premiere or Encore.

• 2. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could export every project separately to BluRay and import them into Encore and place them on one timeline or each on a separate timeline.

Transcoding will be set to none in Encore.

• 3. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

That is pretty much my workflow for most Projects. For me, each "chapter" is a separate Sequence. Each is Exported as elemental streams. The Video portion is Imported into Encore as a Timeline, and the Audio as an Asset, to be joined with the respective Video on its Timeline. All navigation is then to the Timelines, via Links or Playlists in En. Even a First Play AV is treated this way, as are credits and closings. I almost never assemble everything into a "master" Timeline.

If I need to do an "approval" movie, I'll just do a simple En Project and do the same thing. If I use the full En Project, and have changes to be made, I'll just Replace Assets in En, after the final edit in PrPro. Now, I'm doing DVD work, but one could Burn from En to FLV for an approval. I also find that working from an approval file, it's easier to navigate the original Sequences, than a Sequence with everything on it.

Trying to think of a good reason to do a full assembly, and am just probably missing it.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                Jhvegas Level 1

Hunt,

Good thoughts all around. To answer your last question - the only reason I 'like' (not necessarily 'need') to do the master timeline is the way I do my music tracks. Of my 8 segments, 3 are music only, the rest are vox over backing music. Usually, I'll import my music tracks and place them in the timeline. The only reason i need the projects all on one timeline is that I like (there's that 'like' thing again) to have the music continue between the segments, instead of fading out/in each time.

Then I will export my audio tracks and to EQ and ducking/compression in another audio suite, bring them back in and export the whole enchilada.

There's probably an easier way to do this, but you know how it goes when you do something for years and never think of trying something new....

• 5. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

A very good reason, and one that I had not thought of myself. For that then, I think the earlier reference to Lagarith should give you what you want. Thanks for the explanation on your workflow - makes sense now.

Let us know how you make out with Lagarith, and if it works for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                    Jhvegas Level 1

Hey, thanks for the tips. Lagarith is working great. I'm very impressed with the quality and speed. I've imported my rendered files into the existing projects, and compared frame by frame, and it looks great. It seems there might be a hint of gaussian blur (or similar) on fast moving objects, but the clarity on the graphics/etc is very nice.

Now I'm exporting the rest of the kazoo to import/overlay music/etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

• 7. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jonathan,

Sounds great. Let us know how it goes with the Project.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                        Jhvegas Level 1

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the help. Everything went great using Lagarith.

Now i've got another issue (isn't it always something?) getting the video successfully onto blu-ray with encore.

I've actually started a thread on the encore board - if you have a moment to take a look: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450149?tstart=0  (first was an issue with a/v sync, now an issue with h.264 artifacting)

Thanks a million!

Jonathan

• 9. Re: Importing Projects with Preview Files attached...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck on the Encore forum. I was going to suggest that, as I began reading your post, but you have beaten me to it.

There are a lot of folk over there, who don't seem to frequent the PrP fora much. You'll likely have your answer, before you read this.

Hunt