3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 8:02 AM by Michael Borbor

Flex & accessibility

Jerry62712 Level 1

I have a question on accessibility.  It is the same as the one posted Jan 2007, but that one didn't get any responses.  I'm relativily new to FLEX and want to make sure I'm 508 complient.  I've spent the entire day looking at every combination of accessibility and 508 on the Adobe / FLEX sites and found almost nothing that is usable.

How do I add captions (like the "alt" in HTML) to image objects?

How do I add hot keys to jump to important areas of my form?

How do I make the text dynamic (increase size)?

I've added the tab order to the display objects.  I've added a "key down" to the buttons so the user doesn't have to use a mouse.  What else do I need to do besides the above three questions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

• 2. Re: Flex & accessibility
          Jerry62712 Level 1

Thanks for your answer.  I had seen some of the pages, but not the root one you pointed to.

Unfortunately, I didn't find it very clear.  For example, they say to change the flex-config.xml to enable accessibility.  But when I did a search, I found 4 of this file.  I've only installed Flex once (Flex 3) and do have LiveCycle, but I'm not sure why there would be four of them.  Do I change them all?  Is there one that is the "real" configuration file?  The comment says to do the one in the sdks folder.  Two have that as an ancestor folder so do both?  What are the other two/three for?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\2.0.1\framworks

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.1.0\frameworks

C:\Adobe\LiveCycle8.2\jboss\server\all\svcnative\FormServer\FlexSDK\frameworks

C:\Program Files\Adobe\LiveCycle ES\Workbench ES\Designer ES\8.2\plugins\GuideBuilder\flexsdk\frameworks

(Know of any reason they need 10 levels to bury a file in?)

They mention that certain files are needed for JAWS to work correctly, but they also mention that the user must manually install those files.  This might be difficult as the user would be a blind person.  Is this the only way to get FLEX to work with JAWS?  Do I need these files on my system at all?  It just isn't clear.

The next page (http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=accessible_1.html) says that "text control" is not readable by JAWS.  Does this mean the labels and text I put on the screen are useless for blind people?  It also says that "label control" must be associated with other controls.  How do you do that?

[Don't know how they wrote those guides, but I time out between pages about 25% of the time.]

On the next page is something that seems like a good idea, if only they said how to do it.  "description" for "Specifies a description for the component that is read by the screen reader." might take care of the "alt" problem, but there are no examples of how to achieve this.  "Name" and "shortcut" also seem promising if only I had an example of how to apply them.

Having finished the entire section, I went back and found these interesting, but unexplained, things.  Percentage sizing - how do I do this (control level, application level, methology)?  Is this going to give the application the same ability that CNTL-+ does in Firefox?

This is a rather extensive post and I don't expect anyone to answer all the questions.  But if I could get 10 people to answer one each ...

Thanks,

Jerry

• 3. Re: Flex & accessibility
            Michael Borbor Level 4

I haven't go through all those files, I see your concerns, you can always

leave a comment so the doc team could improve the documentation for the next

release.

You have to change the flex-config.xml inside the SDK version that your

project is targetting you most likely are using the Flex SDK 3.1.0.

1 person found this helpful