4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 6:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing with elements 7

howardmil18 Level 1

Hi! I have trial version of elements 7. I take a video segment from a dvd, which was ripped, to mpeg4 or mpeg2. I would

like to edit the clip on elements,,,then bring it up to the BEST conversion format,,(presumably,,mp4 or mpeg-2 , h.264)

As you stated, it seems that elements works best with dvd avi input. If in fact this is so; and I do my ripping to this

format, will the final quality be as GOOD, when elements edits it to mpeg 2 or mpeg 4?? In effect, am I going about

this whole process in the CORRECT way? I like the adobe format,( although my trial versions with an mp4 input and saving as

stated above brings the video in slow, slow motion and music way ahead). If you can answer these questions, you may

have solved my long lasting search for bringing video to YOUTUBE in the highest possible definition available.

Thanks for a detailed but simple and in depth answer.

Howard

• 1. Re: Editing with elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Don't use another product to get the video from your DVD, Howard.

First, start a new project in Premiere Elements. Make sure that you're using the project settings for a Hard Drive Camcorder. (This is very important.)

Put the DVD in your computer's DVD drive and then click the Organize tab in Premiere Elements and select Get Media, then from DVD. This will open a downloader so that you can download the DVD's video to your hard drive and into your Premiere Elements project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing with elements 7
            howardmil18 Level 1

Yes, I am totally shocked!! Are you saying that all this time, ADOBE (not to mention fifty million other) editing programs out there

RIP the dvd segment WITHOUT having to first RIP it with another program??? In over 1 year of having people do this for me, and reading

the net about the programs and tutorials, nobody ever mentioned that an EDITING program ONLY, could do all this in ONE SHOT.

I guess that there might be other means of accomplishing this, (I have seen people edit and then convert on avs,,,,etc) but is it just

ADOBE that does all this and if so,,WHY is it never mentioned as to the proper order for making dvd clips and or slide shows,

from the original dvd source to the highest quallity and mpeg-2 definition from start to finish!  THANKS for the great help and if you

could elaborate a bit more, I would be totally engaged in the amount of info that is not told or that has to be LEARNED.

howard

• 3. Re: Editing with elements 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The simplest solution is usually the best, Howard.

Besides, both the instructions that come with the program and my book explain that you'll get the best results using Premiere Elements for the whole process.

As long as your video input is paired with the right project settings and you've got a well maintained computer, you should be all set.

• 4. Re: Editing with elements 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

PE has had this feature for a couple of versions now, and it seems to get better with each version. PrPro CS4 just added it (borrowed from "little brother?") in the 4.1 update.

The one caveat is that a DVD-Video will be a VIDEO_TS folder with a few other files and then up to 1GB .VOB file(s). One must remember that a VOB file, the basis of a DVD-Video is a Video OBject file. It is a container. As such, much more than just the muxed MPEG-2 Audio & Video can be contained within. One can have Menus, and other navigational aides, plus all sorts of instruction sets for a computer's sotware player, or for a set-top player. Depending on the program used to create these VOB files, PE (and now PrPro) may do a wonderful job of the "ripping," but can be tripped up.

As an example, in PrPro CS4.1, most VOB's created in Adobe Encore come in perfectly. With DVD-Videos created in other programs, well it's a bit of a crap-shoot. It all depends on the authoring software used. To take this example one step further, DVD-Videos created by VHS to DVD players seem to give people fits. This is because of the rudimentary menuing system that some of these use. They can be highly problematic.

If such a case exists with one's DVD-Video, then the "old fashioned" ripping with other software might be required.

So far, the initial tests are still ongoing. I, for instance, do not know how a DVD-Video, created in DVD Architect, specifically, would rip internally in CS4.1. Probably perfectly. Same for Nero, et al. However, the DVD-Videos created by many of the VHS-DVD players seem to be highly problematic. This is probably because they play fast and loose with the DVD-specs. Encore does not. It is 100% DVD-spec compliant. That is one reason that it will refuse to Burn to DVD some Projects that are NOT DVD-compliant, while some other software will. It's all about the DVD-specs.

It comes down to a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). If it works perfectly, as it should in most cases, you're fine. If it does not, then something in the VOB (usually the first) is getting in the way, and it's time to do the ripping externally. If it's a DVD-Video created in an Adobe product, you're probably good to go. If it was created with some other program, well ?

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] And - if this is a commercial DVD, then you have Copy Protection issues, and really should not be doing this because of © issues.

1 person found this helpful