Toshiba Tecra M5

Centrino Duo 1.66ghz

3.0 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M /w latest drivers

Resolutions 1680*1050 to 1024*768

C:/ Win XP <- Premiere installation

D:/ Win 7

E:/ My Documents

I know it's not a video editing beast but when the program loads, it performs really well, even with HD 720p.

That's right, when it loads. Premiere boots up to the project selection screen fine and then after loading or starting a new project 9 times out of 10 it'll crash when the video editing interface pops up. When it does stay open it works fine for hours. Lately it crashes 10 times out of 10.

Also the editing interface flickers in a diagonal motion for a second or two just before loading and then crashing. Interestingly, After Effects CS4 does it too, constantly, about every 20 seconds, but does not crash at all. I would like to know if the problem is interelated and if anyone has had the same problem(s)? Also I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue with my graphics card (as it sounds like a display issue)?

I've concluded more specifically that Premiere crashes when the timeline pane is opened or if a video file is opened for preview. And maybe for other stuff too.

I've tried:

Different user accounts

Removing fonts even though I have no custom fonts

Reinstalling so many times I lost track

With and without adobe clean uninstaller tool

On a fresh reformat