6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 4:58 PM by Edit 1 Media

It's a matter of speed

bh0617

I have recently upgraded to CS4 from Premier 6. That's a huge learning curve, but it's going well. One very important project I do every year is a leadership camp for teens. I film all day from Monday - Thursday (9a.m.-9p.m.) Edit over night. Friday I film until 2 p.m. The video - which is an overview of the weeks accomplishments - is due a 8 p.m. Friday is the championship tournament so the footage on that day is especially critical.

This year, because of the upgrade, I didn't finish on time. There were 300 kids at that camp and the director gave me an additional 20 minutes so I could at least have "something" to show. I need to know how to make this software run faster. Here are some of my issues, maybe someone can help.

Transitions: it appears that even if I edit a clip and use that clip in a transition, that the edited part shows up in the transition. I even used a razor tool to cut the clip, that didn't change the outcome. The only transitions that seemed to actually work were the Adobe dissolves. Everything else didn't seem to exist. I could place them over a clip but they just sat there and did - nothing.

Titles: I normally have the championship team's name come up over the video so they can be recognized. In the older version, I selected a page curl of some sort and slapped it over the title and I had instant movement. It took one or two clicks. I could not figure out an easy way to accomplish the same thing. The best I could do here was fade a title in and out and that was pretty lame.

Title Attributes: Once I created a title for the five or six transitions, I wanted to be able to use the same exact attributes for each title. I was not able to do that and had to mannually create every title from scratch.

3rd Party Add Ons: I use Digital Juice Jump Backs and they work wonderfully in CS4. However, every time I shut down premier, and then restart, anything that was previously rendered, must be re-rendered. This didn't happen in Premier 6. For some of my layered pieces like the DJ products this consumes time I don't have.

Export to DVD: I could not get Encore to work as it crashed 3 times after 27 seconds into transcoding. I resorted to using my Matrox rtx2 card breakout box and just playing back from the time line via RCA cables to a DVD recorder. I can not tell you how disappointed I was in the loss of quality. I don't know what the issues are with Encore, but I can't get this puppy to work at all. I'm wondering if it's a codec problem?

We did have a video, but it was the choppiest and most unprofessional looking one I've ever done. Now, before you tell me to watch the tutorials and read the manual, I'll one up you. I bought the tutorials, I've watched most of them, I've printed 350 pages of the 500 page manual and even read it. My system was built by an authorized Adobe dealer, Safe Harbor, and I'm using the Matrox RTX2 card. Vista 64, 8GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drives for Video, 500 GB system drive. I've been editing video for over 12 years so you can be pretty straight forward. I also have all the latest drivers and did NOT upgrade to 4.1.

Direct my path and I'll be mighty appreciative.

• 1. Re: It's a matter of speed
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

First thing I would do is use a different "authorized dealer" for you HW, because the one you have doesnt know what they are doing.  The RTX card does not work properly with CS4.  So, first think I would do is get rid of it.   It is likely the cause of most of your problems.

bh0617 wrote:

Transitions: it appears that even if I edit a clip and use that clip in a transition, that the edited part shows up in the transition. I even used a razor tool to cut the clip, that didn't change the outcome. The only transitions that seemed to actually work were the Adobe dissolves. Everything else didn't seem to exist. I could place them over a clip but they just sat there and did - nothing.

There were some transition bugs associated with stills; buty it was fixed in the 4.1 update.  So; if transitions dont work; Id blaim the matrox preset/card.  Easy enough to test.

Titles: I normally have the championship team's name come up over the video so they can be recognized. In the older version, I selected a page curl of some sort and slapped it over the title and I had instant movement. It took one or two clicks. I could not figure out an easy way to accomplish the same thing. The best I could do here was fade a title in and out and that was pretty lame.

Should work fine. Iin fact; much easier and more flexable in CS4 compared to premiere 6x.  You can have open ended transitions on any video track.

Title Attributes: Once I created a title for the five or six transitions, I wanted to be able to use the same exact attributes for each title. I was not able to do that and had to mannually create every title from scratch.

Not sure what you mean.   You can copy and paste attributes in CS4.

3rd Party Add Ons: I use Digital Juice Jump Backs and they work wonderfully in CS4. However, every time I shut down premier, and then restart, anything that was previously rendered, must be re-rendered. This didn't happen in Premier 6. For some of my layered pieces like the DJ products this consumes time I don't have.

Again; sounds like a matrox bug.  This isnt normal.

Export to DVD: I could not get Encore to work as it crashed 3 times after 27 seconds into transcoding. I resorted to using my Matrox rtx2 card breakout box and just playing back from the time line via RCA cables to a DVD recorder. I can not tell you how disappointed I was in the loss of quality. I don't know what the issues are with Encore, but I can't get this puppy to work at all. I'm wondering if it's a codec problem?

Id take the system back to your reseller and ask them to deliver you a working system.  Either the install is smurfed, the matrox is interfeering, or have a buggy platform.

• 2. Re: It's a matter of speed
            bh0617 Level 1

I read your reply, but what I'm really looking for is an answer. So, I'll just address one of the questions/issues.

In previous versions of Premier, if I wanted to create quick and simple movement on a title, I could select a Vertical Peel or Roll, place it on the title clip, and I would have instant movement. I could also reverse the movement for a different effect by clicking on the "reverse" button within the fx dialog box. In this way, a title could roll onto the screen like a page curl or page roll. It was quick. It was easy. It was instant. It required no rendering. It looked good.

I want to do the same thing in CS4, but there are no such fx.

I suppose one could take hours and create the effect themselves. If that's even possible, can you save the effect as your own so it could be used later in other projects?

My subsequent question is "why did adobe get rid of these?"

And finally, if it's not possible to create such easy an useful fx, is there a 3rd party plug in that I can research - that would work with CS4 and do the same thing?

Once this question is answered, I'll move on to the others.

• 3. Re: It's a matter of speed
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

See the "Obsolete/Discontinued" section of the Effects page.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: It's a matter of speed
                Harm Millaard Level 7

If you want everything as it was in Premiere 6.0 and do not like to learn new things, why change?

• 5. Re: It's a matter of speed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Both BluffTitler and ProDAD's Heroglyph can do similar and much more. Heroglyph is a "semi" plug-in.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: It's a matter of speed
                    Edit 1 Media

>>The RTX card does not work properly with CS4.  So, first think I would do is get rid of it.  It is likely the cause of most of your problems.<<

As a beta tester for Matrox, I have been working with the Matrox RTx2 and CS4 for quite a while and stability has not been an issue for me. Right now, Matrox recommends that you stick with Premiere CS4.01 and hold off a bit to upgrade to CS4.1

They should have updated drivers (xtools) fairly soon that fix some issues with CS4.1