7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 2:33 AM by *Prashant Shelke*

Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?

EMelville Level 1

Hi!

I went through the steps and created a Application from a Database. All is ok, but how do I get just one of the values in the mysql database to display in a {label}? I've been playing with this for a couple of months and i'm pretty sure it's something i've simply missed. (Bleh)

Thanks!

Here's a picture of what i'm trying to do.

http://www.thealphacompany.net/wth.jpg

I do appreciate any assistance available!

MXML Code (Works a-ok):

<mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"
                     dataProvider="{dataArr}"
                     rowCount="8"
                     editable="true"
                     resizableColumns="true" 
                     headerRelease="setOrder(event);"
                     right="10" left="10" top="10" bottom="204">
                          <mx:columns>
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="id" dataField="idCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="event_desc" dataField="event_descCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="logo_url" dataField="logo_urlCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="background_img" dataField="background_imgCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_color" dataField="txt_colorCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_font" dataField="txt_fontCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_size" dataField="txt_sizeCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_from" dataField="reg_email_fromCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_address" dataField="reg_email_addressCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_message" dataField="reg_email_messageCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="current_slidedeck" dataField="current_slidedeckCol" />
                               <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="total_slides" dataField="total_slidesCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="url_materials" dataField="url_materialsCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="url_materials_title" dataField="url_materials_titleCol" />
                          </mx:columns>
                </mx:DataGrid>

What the heck i'm trying to do:

<mx:Label x="40" y="229" text="{????}" />

• 1. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?
          *Prashant Shelke* Level 4

<mx:Label text="{dataGrid.selectedItem.url_materials}" ../>

this will bind selected item's any one of dataFields as you required.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?
            EMelville Level 1

Actually I was planning to get rid of the dataGrid eventually. I'd rather just display it in labels.

I embed the code:

1. No errors

2. The label becomes blank

It did give me the idea of trying this:

<mx:Label x="40" y="229" text="{dataGrid.selectedItem.url_materialsCol}" />

And it worked obviously when I selected the specific item. But how do I get "That" specifc item into that text label field without the grid.

Idea:

I suppose I could make the table invisible and have the Selected item predefined on init();

Let me know if you have a better (and simpler) solution.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?

Actually according u r description in last post, i think your dont want dataGrid over there & if you want to set url_materisalsCols value,

try this:

var arrColl:ArrayCollection; // suppose this is dataProvider for dataGrid & you can retrieve any attribute from any object of this as

arrColl.getItemAt(0).url_materisalsCols // 1st row

arrColl.getItemAt(1).url_materisalsCols // 2st row

Here 0, 1 are same as selectedIndex of dataGrid just ensure arrColl != null && arrColl.length > 0

This better than creating & hiding dataGrid

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?
                EMelville Level 1

The current dataprovider is: dataProvider="{dataArr}"

I've tried:

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

private function actSetIndex(): void {

dataArr.getItemAt(0).url_materialsCol // 1st row

}

]]>

</mx:Script>

And created a button to execute it but no luck. Zero errors, just blank.

Lets back up.

I've tried:

<mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"

dataProvider="{dataArr}"

rowCount="8"

editable="true"

resizableColumns="true"

headerRelease="setOrder(event);"

selectedIndex="0"

right="10" left="10" top="10" bottom="204">

<mx:columns>

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="id" dataField="idCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="event_desc" dataField="event_descCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="logo_url" dataField="logo_urlCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="background_img" dataField="background_imgCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_color" dataField="txt_colorCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_font" dataField="txt_fontCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="txt_size" dataField="txt_sizeCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_from" dataField="reg_email_fromCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_address" dataField="reg_email_addressCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="reg_email_message" dataField="reg_email_messageCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="current_slidedeck" dataField="current_slidedeckCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="total_slides" dataField="total_slidesCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="url_materials" id="bleh" dataField="url_materialsCol" />

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="url_materials_title" dataField="url_materials_titleCol" />

</mx:columns>

</mx:DataGrid>

But the selected index isn't selected. Any ideas on how to make the selected index pre defined?

• 5. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?

selectedIndex=0 by default will work only in case u have data already came, else u r data is getting set so selectedIndex becomes -1.

Do one thing, set as below

dataGrid.dataProvider = dataArr; // dataArr might not present at the intialization of data Grid.

dataGrid.selectedIndex = 0 ;

• 6. Re: Created a Application from Database ok! But how can I play with it?
                    EMelville Level 1

Works like a charm. A quick workaround that I can deal with later on in the future.

Thanks!!