5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 12:41 PM by Gravenstein

RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow

EmmaHe

Hi

I've recently upgraded from X5 to 8. We work on the network and do not have the option of working locally. I have implemented the solution of adding the file to the en_us folder. I have renamed the cpd file. Nothing seems to help. Robohelp enables me to type for 2-3 seconds and then there is a 2-3 second delay.

During the installation I installed RoboSource Control 3.1. Can this be causing the problem? Can I install it without causing any problems?

Thanks

Emma

• 1. Re: RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

If you are going to work on a network, you must expect problems. I appreciate this is probably being dictated to you your IT department but you or your line manager needs to explain this product is not designed to work that way. It is going to give you problems, end of story. See Using RH8 on my site. There is something there about RH8 being slow but I don't know if it will help you.

IT's concern is probably backups. You have two options to address that.

The first is to implement source control. That way you check out the files you need from the network and work on them locally, checking back in at the end of each day.

The second is what we do. We use a simple backup program SyncBack from http://www.2brightsparks.com/. We set it to autorun overnight before IT's own backup routines kick in. That way our backup goes to the network and they then back it up a few hours later.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

• 2. Re: RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow
            EmmaHe Level 1

Thanks a lot for this information. With regards to my other question about RoboSource control. Could it be slowing things down? Do I need it?

Thanks

Emma

• 3. Re: RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow
              RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Emma.

Source control is normally only required if you are in a multi-author environment. If you are on your own, I'd say definitely not!

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 4. Re: RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I don't like using source control but it can be useful if you want more than one author working on a project at any one time. Its other use is version control and the fact that the files reside on a network, albeit they are copied locally while you are working on them. In your scenario, that could be the solution that keeps you and IT happy.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

• 5. Re: RoboHelp 8 Is Extremely Slow
                  Gravenstein Level 2

If you have a lot of files, the interaction between RSC and your anti-virus tool can slow down some operations. When RSC is accessing a whole bunch of files (for example, when you first open a project), the anti-virus tool can insert a long delay while it examines each file. If this is an issue for you, you may be able to reconfigure your anti-virus tool to be more friendly to your RH files.

Similarly, depending on your RH/RSC project configuration, your anti-virus tool could be inserting itself in other routine operations, as well.

G