3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 11:31 AM by Mylenium

Simple 3D Layer Question

Top Branded Clothing Level 1

When I set a layer to a 3D layer and change one of the X, Y or Z properties to 90%, shouldn't the layer 'disappear'?
      I'm trying to do something simple; that is, to make a layer 'rotate in' from 90% to 0%.

I find that I have to make the value 102% or something like that but even then it's not exactly right!
      (If I use Basic 3D, then that does allow me to do what I want but I'm getting weird error messages about buffers and 30000 pixels which I don't understand either!)

• 1. Re: Simple 3D Layer Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Top Branded Clothing wrote:

When I set a layer to a 3D layer and change one of the X, Y or Z properties to 90%, shouldn't the layer 'disappear'?

Not necessarily. AE uses a correct spherical projection for its Active Camera or true comp cameras and then just as much the rotation of the element, the position of the element in relation to the camera matters as it will affect the angle between the camera and the item, naturally. Therefore in most cases for the element to "disappear" the angle will be somewhere near 90 degrees, but most of the time never exactly that value since AE uses sub-pixel precision for such calculations. the further you get to the edges of the view, the greater the angle deviation.

Mylenium

• 2. Simple 3D Layer Question
            Top Branded Clothing Level 1

I really appreciate the trouble and time you have taken to reply to me.

However, I don't have a sufficient understanding of AE for all of that to make sense (although I do get the jist of it)!

But thanks anyway.

All the best,

Chummy

• 3. Re: Simple 3D Layer Question
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, I know, this is not easy to understand in words, but if you draw it out on paer, it will become clear.

Mylenium