8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 1:35 AM by Paul_LS

Reduced Image Quality

kaner_88

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to PE7 and I'm trying to put together a slide show for a wedding.  While I have imported most of the pics into scene/timeline, it seems that the quality of the pics have noticeably gone down.  I don't remember what resolution the pics were when they were taken, but when I view the pics on their own (not in PE7), they are crisp and clear when opened fully.  But while playing back my rendered workspace there is a noticeable amount of pixelization in the photos.  Its as if the resolution has gone down after importing into PE7.  The pics are jpeg's.  Is there a format which I should change these to in order to correct this issue?  Or is there a setting I can use that would help?  Thanks for any help in advance!

Eric

• 1. Re: Reduced Image Quality
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, the quality of the image will benefit if all re-sizing is done outside of PE. Use either Photoshop, or PSElements for this. Cannot speak for PSE, but in PS, the resizing algorithms are better than in Premiere. For DVD output, you sizes should be no larger than 1000x750 pxls. If you do not need to do any panning on zoomed out images, I'd even go with the Project's Preset.

Depending on the native format of the images, I'd try to stay away from any JPEG compression. If you have TIFF's to begin with, then keep them TIFF's. If you have some flavor of RAW, then I'd go with .PSD, Photoshop's native format. If you start with JPEG's, then I'd resize in PS/PSE and use .PSD's. About the last thing that you would want to do would be to Import a JPEG, resize and then Export as JPEG - double-whammy!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Reduced Image Quality
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As an aside on viewing for quality, set your Program Monitor to 100%, in lieu of "Fit." The preview will be better that way.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Reduced Image Quality
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And remember that video is a much lower resolution than your original photos -- and only about 1/4 the resolution of your computer monitor. So no photos turned into a video slideshow will ever look as crisp and detailed as the originals.

If you want to create a slideshow for your computer that will maintain the crispness of the original photos, you should create the slideshow as a Photoshop Elements hi-rez output instead or use a program like Pro Show Gold.

• 4. Re: Reduced Image Quality
                kaner_88 Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I'll give this a shot when I get home.

• 5. Re: Reduced Image Quality
                  kaner_88 Level 1

Steve - at what point can I choose to have the slideshow be a 'hi-rez' slideshow?  Is that when I'm initially creating the project?

I was planning on having some video mixed in with the pictures, so I guess I'll have to pick whether I want to stick with the video slideshow (with lower resolution pics) or the hi-rez slideshow with better quality images.  Do you know if video (.avi) is impacted if going with the hi-rez slideshow?

Thanks,

Eric

• 6. Re: Reduced Image Quality
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

The first thing that you will need to do is define your playback and delivery scheme. You will need to decide if you will distribute the product for play only on a computer, or if you also want TV playback. Then, you need to define how you wish to distribute the material, i.e. DVD-Video, BD disc, a DVD-Data for use in media players on a computer, perhaps a high-rez projector run off of a laptop. Once you have done this, you can then concentrate on what workflow is best for your Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Reduced Image Quality
                      LindquistS

I am having the same problem. All images are now tiffs and set to 1000x750 pixels. I imported the images into Premier and when the viewing screen is Fit to 100% it looks great. But when I render and go to full screen its not crisp. Will it become a clear picture when it is exported? Or remain blurry as it shows when I full screen the slide show?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

• 8. Re: Reduced Image Quality
                        Paul_LS Level 4

The full screen preview is not the same as the final export. Why not export a few seconds of your video to check it when played back in a media player.

However as noted in the above posts, if you export to a standard NTSC preset your 1000x750 photos will be resized to the NTSC frame size, so 640x480 and so the result will look poor when expanded to your full screen. Dont know what your screen resolution is set to, but if it is set to 1280x1024 for example then it will look bad.

If you want a higher resolution slideshow to view on a computer monitor then start with a 720 HDV project preset (or even 1080i). You would need to scale your photos accordingly but your export would be 1280x720... so significantely higher resolution (widescreen though not 4:3).