9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 6:53 AM by KissUponTheShoulder

Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!

KissUponTheShoulder

Hello,

The problem I have encountered is thus: I had to import some topics into my map after getting an error from renaming the topics file names. Ever since I imported the topics back into the map under their new name, when I generate to Word, the topic headers still appear in the TOC and the document, but the content of the topic does not appear. I have tried conditionalizing the text to appear and this doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

A frustrated tech writer.

• 1. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

What is this "map" you refer to? Also there is a lot of language you use that confuses me . You say you have "converted" from RH HTML? Do you just mean you are attempting to produce a word document? You also mention conditionised text. Can you give us something more to go on?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 2. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
            KissUponTheShoulder Level 1

Hi,

By map, I mean the Table of Contents map (TOC). I am generating a Word output from RH HTML, and this is where I am encountering the problems with the topics not appearing but the topic titles still appearing. What I mean when I said I have tried using conditionalized text is this: let's call the document I am producing the "Users Guide." I selected all of the text that was not appearing when I generated the Word output, and conditionalized it to be "Users Guide" text (so that it will only appear in the Users guide. You can also conditionalize things to appear only in a Word doc, or only in an online help doc, etc). However, even though my text is conditionalized to appear in my Users Guide, it still isn't.

• 3. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
              lmarden Level 2

Hi Kiss.

Just so we are speaking the same language, you're talking about conditional build tags, correct?

Are you aware that there are two steps to make sure that content is included or excluded as you wish from your various layouts?

Sure, the tags must be created and assigned, but, you also have to make sure that the Build Statement on the layout setting for your user guide or for your printable doc is set up correctly. When you start the process to create output, the Build Statement is displayed on the first window - make sure it is correctly including or excluding what it should for the layout you are working with.

If you already knew all that, sorry!

-Laurin

• 4. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
                lmarden Level 2

Sorry - I need to clarify - the second component is called the Conditional Build Expression, and it can be found in the middle of the first window you see when you initiate a Single Source Layout item.

• 5. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
                  RoboColum(n) Level 5

To add to what Laurin has said, I wonder whether the language you have used is in FrameMaker speak? You say "conditionalised" text. Was your RH project originally a FM book?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 6. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!

Hi Laurin,

I was not aware that there were 2 steps to using conditionlized texts (I'm still learning RH so thanks for the info!). However, I just checked the build outline statement, and it has been written so that is not what is affecting it.

Basically, what has happened here was that I was given a pre-created document, and had to import some new files into the document to replace some of the old files that were already in the "document map." When I was using the old (now deleted) files, the topic contents were showing up but since I replaced those files with new ones, the content is now not showing up when generated. So I think I might have broken links (?!?!?!) possibly? But I'm not sure how I did it, where to look, or how to fix it.

• 7. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!

Hello,

I am not sure if the RoboHelp project was originally a FrameMaker- the project was already built when I received it and I have only used it in an editorial fashion. I am referring to conditional build tags that you can use to create conditional text (ie- text that only appears in printed documents, in online help builds, etc). Does this help clarify?

• 8. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!
                        lmarden Level 2

ok. I know I need more detail - and am probably not alone.

1. copy and paste your Conditional Build Expression into a reply here, so we can see the tags used.

2. I would kinda want to see a screen shot of an example of text that is not appearing where you need it to, with your mouse hovering over the specific content so that we can see the build tag(s) assigned to the content.

3. and some more questions - I know, details details.

a. You write "I was given a pre-created document" - What was the document created in? Just for giggles, tell us the file name with the extension.

b. You write "had to import some new files into the document" - How did you do that, exactly? In what program?

c. You write "old files that were already in the "document map"  - By document map, you mean the Table of Contents, right?

--->  d. You write "since I replaced those files with new ones, the content is now not showing up when generated" - did you rebuild the links to the Table of Contents? The TOC can't dynamically add new topics to itself - you have to open up the TOC and put it next to your topics list, and physically drag new topics to where they should be in the TOC.  Even if new topics use the same titles as on topics that have been deleted, RH TOC won't know about them.

OR, if your TOC is just really hosed, let RH Auto-Create a new one to pull in every topic from every folder (select the option to delete previous TOC entries), and start fresh (delete topics you don't want in there, move some around, assign topics to TOC section headers, whatever).

• 9. Re: Conversion from RH HTML makes topic contents disappear in Word!

Hey Laurin,

You are the best! I had to pull my new topics into the table of contents (the TOC still said the topic titles so I had assumed the new files had automatically been pulled into the TOC when I added the files in.)

Thank you!