2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 1:00 AM by Mylenium

After Effects (Backing up Project Files and Workflow Question)

Comp. 792-YeIbLU Level 1

Hi, I did a search and there are a lot of posts on backing up After Effects Application etc. but none relating to this.

Question #1

If I have completed a project and want to save my aep. (After Effects Native File) to a disc will it save or embed all of the external graphics and audio files used in the project or do I have to save all of the reference files onto the same CD as the .aep project file?

Anything else I need to know Tips for backing up files etc? I don't want to open up my .aep file in the future and find it is missing graphics and audio etc.

Question #2

I have a Workflow question. They say there is more than one way to skin a cat so I want to know if the method I used was a common one and is the recommended procedure. (and before someone jumps on me for the cat comment, I do have a cat and would never think of harming it. )

Instead of importing the sequence into my project, I opened a new composition and then imported the sequence. Then I saved the sequence as an Quicktime .mov file and then brought that into my project.

I just thought it would be tidier doing it that way. Is this a common workflow to save the image sequence as a movie file first, then import it into a composition rather than just importing the sequence directly into a composition?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 1. Re: After Effects (Backing up Project Files and Workflow Question)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

answering question #1:

There's a section in Help about saving and backing up projects. Just saving a project doesn't package up the source files that a project refers to. The last line of that page about saving and backing up projects refers to a feature with which you can also back up and collect the assets used in a composition or project:Collect Files.

• 2. Re: After Effects (Backing up Project Files and Workflow Question)
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Comp. 792 wrote:

Is this a common workflow to save the image sequence as a movie file first, then import it into a composition rather than just importing the sequence directly into a composition?

It depends. There is no general advantage in using movie clips as long as you have sufficient disk space to retain the image files. It may even slow down things as some CoDecs are less ideal for out-of-sequence access to frames, especially compressed ones. You also enter the danger zone, when one of the clips gets damaged. It may be unusable, while on the other hand it would be simple to fix a still image by re-rendering it from your 3D program our touching it up in Photoshop. As a last thing of course you have to consider, that most movie formats are just 8bit or 10bit and you will lose color fidelity when working with scanned film frames or, again, 3D rendered images. In the latter case this can even be expanded upon, as only image formats support full 32bpc at this point and formats like RPF, IFF and OpenEXR are the only ones to hold additional buffers like depth or object ID. Some movie formats don't even support Alpha channels... It realy comes down to the kind of work you do. I only use movie clips, if they originated as such from editing programs, when there is a considerable saving in disk space or when I have to send it to otehr people to avoid mess ups. For my personal workflows I prefer to keep the original image files around aslong as I can, which, given todays cheap pricing even on terabyt harddrives is not really a problem.

Mylenium