27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 12:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Cant see my video

fishalot Level 1

Hi

I have just imported my vidoe on to my computer, watched it as it was importing

As soon as I get to the edit screen it is just a blank screen that flickers

Can anyone help??

I have Prem Elements 7

• 1. Re: Cant see my video
          Paul_LS Level 4

From what source are your video files? Do you know the video format? You can download GSpot from the link below, you can use this utility to tell you what codec was used to create your files. From that we can determine the best solution.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Cant see my video
            fishalot Level 1

I am importing from a DV camcorder via a firewire cable

The only software that I am using is Prem Elements 7, Get Media

I can see the thumbnails on the right, I can see the thumbnails in the timeline

Just when I play it is a blank screen

Do I have to render it or something first??

Hope this helps

• 3. Re: Cant see my video
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I can see the thumbnails in the timeline

Does this mean that the Clips (with their thumbnails) do appear in the Timeline?

When you scrub the CTI (Current Time Indicator) along the Timeline, do you get any display then?

Do I have to render it or something first??

You should not have to do any Rendering, if you did the Capture in PE. You should have a green line (not a red one) above the Clips, right under the Timeline's ruler. It should look like this, except for no red line, unless you added a Transition, or a Title.:

Render_Timeline.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Cant see my video
                fishalot Level 1

I dont get any display at all

On the timeline I have the picture for the beginning and end of the clip

I only have a green line above 1 of the clips

Really annoying!!!

• 5. Re: Cant see my video
                  Paul_LS Level 4

Hi Hunt... I think you must have been on the wine already...   ...at least I have an excuse because it is late evening here. 

If it is DV-AVI on the timeline there will not be a green line... just grey. If you add an effect and render it will turn green.

• 6. Re: Cant see my video
                    Paul_LS Level 4

Firstly have you got the cursor over a section of the clip... I guess so, but worth a shot.

You could try this. Go to Project>Project Settings>General>Playback Settings and change "standard" to " compatible"  or vice-versa depending on your current setting. If this does not help try updating your video drivers.

• 7. Re: Cant see my video
                      fishalot Level 1

screen.JPGHere is what I see

• 8. Re: Cant see my video
                        fishalot Level 1

The setting is already on compatible

thanks

• 9. Re: Cant see my video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops! Thanks.

Hunt

[Edit] Since I do not Capture in PE, I must not have noticed this. When I Import a DV-AVI Type II into PE, it comes in with a green line.

• 10. Re: Cant see my video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Two things that do not look right in the screen-cap.

1.) First the Clips and their thumbnails look awfully light. I'm sure that this could be a monitor gamma issue, but they look like they are heavily "ghosted" and not bright and vibrant. It looks like your Opacity "rubber band" is down. Look back at the screen-cap that I uploaded to see the differences.

2.) The Waveform Display on your Audio is flatline. Was there no Audio in these Clips?

Out of curiosity, have you run these files through G-Spot, just to see what it says about them? Also, go through the process of doing a Render on them in G-Spot and play them in the little monitor in G-Spot.

Good luck, and please report on these observations,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cant see my video
                              fishalot Level 1

I have audio and I can hear it when I play it back

I hvae just imported some other clips that I had used in an old premiere program and they are the same, no picture, but has sound.

I ahve only used this once before back in September last year and I am sure I had the same problem but got it sorted, just dont know how.

What do you mean by G Spot

thanks

• 12. Re: Cant see my video
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like your Clips are pretty short. Can you attach one and e-mail it to me to test with? My e-mail is in my profile, or you can send it to info AT huntphoto.com. Obviously, AT would be replaced by the @ sign and all spaces would be closed up. so that it reads ____@_________.com.

I'll test with one of these, and get right back to you,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Cant see my video
                                  fishalot Level 1

Hi

I will try and do it tomorrow as I am just about to go and see to my son.

What I will say is that it plays perfectly well in realplayer, both sound and picture.

thanks for you help I will try and send tomorrow

• 14. Re: Cant see my video
                                    Paul_LS Level 4

Strange you get a green line Hunt. Any type 2 DV-AVI I import, captured with any program or converted from MPEG always come in with no line above them.

• 15. Re: Cant see my video
                                      Paul_LS Level 4

Did you update your video driver?

• 16. Re: Cant see my video
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

To the best of my knowledge, I always have. Same for PrPro. Just as a test, I ran one of the PE Sample Files through G-Spot, just to make sure that it was indeed DV-AVI Type II, and it was. I did an Import into my PE test Project and got the same green line. While I could have sworn that in my screen-caps, used for the red line/green line, I had not done a Render, I did not think so. The test Import came in with the same green line with no Render.

Now, what do you see in Fishalot's screen-cap? Do you agree that they look ghosted and that the Opacity line is down. Also, except for what appear to be some JPEG artifacts, I cannot find any Waveform Display, and Fishalot says that in RealPlayer, both Audio and Video play fine. Anything that I am missing?

Do not recall the answer to your video driver question, but maybe tomorrow. Right now, I'm stumped and wonder about what I think I am seeing in the screen-cap.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Cant see my video
                                          Paul_LS Level 4

Sorry Hunt, the video driver question was directed at the original poster.

The opacity line looks perfect to me. You can just make out the audio waveform display on some of the clips. As for ghosting... cant really see any but it may be that the capture is not that clear.

• 18. Re: Cant see my video
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Sorry Hunt, the video driver question was directed at the original poster.

Don't worry, that was my understanding completely.

I did a Save on the screen-cap and opened it in PS to study it as closely, as I could. I'm going to do a comparison and show you what I am talking about. I'll post that comparisson in a few minutes, so you can see what I "think" I am seeing, with a side-by-side comparisson.

More later. Speaking of "later" I hope that I'm not keeping you up with this.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Cant see my video
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's what I am looking at. Am I just going blind, as well as stupid?

Timeline_Views_01.jpg

If we get to test the file, then maybe some of this speculation will be moot.

Thanks for you valued input.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Cant see my video
                                                Paul_LS Level 4

My timeline looks exacyly like the original posters and not like yours Hunt. I am pretty certain this is nothing to do with his problem though. It is probably something simple like the video driver.

• 21. Re: Cant see my video
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This article just appeared in another Adobe forum, and gave me an idea, re: the video driver issue.

For Fishalot, I've forgotten which vid-card you have, but you might want to look at this POST. I use an nVidia Quadro, and the driver update page is pretty specific to the exact card. This appears to be not so for much of thier lineup and probably similar for other mfr's sites. Seems that newer drivers are often bundled in larger, non-card-specific issues. One driver update file for many cards. Something to look into. There could well be driver updates, but they do not show for your specific card.

Paul_LS is seldom wrong, so I would try to follow his suggestion on the video card driver.

Hunt

• 22. Re: Cant see my video
                                                    fishalot Level 1

Right, I had a brainwave.

I went back to a project that I had done back in September (only one I have done, but I remember having the same problem)

I opened the project, which has the vidoe playing on the clips that I used.

I imported one of the new ones to the timeline and guess what, I can see the video, so I dont think it is anything wrong with the file.

Now I know what you are going to say, just use this and save as a new name, fair enough I would, its just that I have been recording in wide screen and its not the same format as the one before.

I did try starting a new project in the standard format but I could not see the video again, so it is noty the format selection.

Still cant work it out

Cheers

• 23. Re: Cant see my video
                                                      fishalot Level 1

Hi all

Got it working, just started to look at the settings on each project

It was the playback settings, needed to be compatible, not standard

Many thanks for your help

• 24. Re: Cant see my video
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news and thanks for reporting back,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Cant see my video
                                                          Paul_LS Level 4

Glad you got it working... but I said to check this setting back in the 3rd or 4th post and you said it was already set to Compatible... did anything change???

• 26. Re: Cant see my video
                                                            fishalot Level 1

Hi

I thought that I did check this as well, but must have not saved it after changing it

Thanks for your help though

Cheers

• 27. Re: Cant see my video
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Many is the time that I made a change, but then exited from the dialog screen the wrong way, only to find that my change did not "take." With something like this, you might not see that the selection did not work, until much later.

Hunt