4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 1:05 AM by Mylenium

Audio Import No Sound

preditorj40153117 Level 1

I have imported via dbl clicking project pane, drag and drop, used the file menu, to get audio to play in AE. I have also used .mov (audio only), mp3, aac, and aiff.

when i pull these to the timeline  and hit the space bar i get silence.

what's missing to make it play.

• 1. Re: Audio Import No Sound
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

In After Effects, you don't get real time audio playback by hitting the spacebar.

In fact, the Spacebar doesn't give you real time anything

To play back audio in real time, you need to press the dot (.) in the numeric keypad, or go to Composition > Preview and choose one of the audio preview options.

To have visual content and audio playing back in real time, you need to build a RAM preview first. Press the 0 key in the numeric keypad, or go to Composition > Preview > RAM preview. AE will start processing the timeline and show a green progress bar. When it covered the part you want to preview, interrupt it by pressing any key and it will start playing.

• 2. Re: Audio Import No Sound
            preditorj40153117 Level 1

so i am gonna have to create my graphic then ram preview to see if it syncs.

even if its not real time, is there a way of inching the TL so that you can hear particular elements to sync to? or is that all waveform marking?

• 3. Re: Audio Import No Sound
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

FAQ: How can I play or preview sound (audio)?

from "Preview video and audio":

"Press the asterisk key (*) on the numeric keypad during a RAM preview to place a marker at the currently previewed frame. This is a convenient way to place markers corresponding to important points in an audio track."

• 4. Re: Audio Import No Sound
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Use the marker method Todd was referring to. It works reasonably well. Anotehr method would be the use of expressions such as illustrated in Dan Ebberts' tutorial. You could e.g. apply the code to a simple solid that flashes on and off and allows you to visually verify cues. Similarly, tools like Trapcode Soundkeys added to a dummy helper layer can make things easier, reitehr directly by using their keyframing or just as a visual guide.

Mylenium