8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 3:51 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Plug-in organization

Michael Maller

I have a multitude of plug-ins for After Effects CS4.

As my plug-in list grew they seemed to be neatly organized in the drop down effect menu.

Now that I have installed some additional plug-ins, like ( Factory-Tools) a lot of my originally neatly organized plug-ins

are now showing up in the other category making it difficult to locate and find.

I know I can use the effects search tab, but I liked when they were neatly listed in

their appropriate drop downs.

How can I regain this organization in the effects menu? Is there a limit to the amount of plug-ins that

can be kept neatly categorized and organized in the effects menu?

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Plug-in organization
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. By no means should plug-ins jump from category to category just by adding new ones. This info is contained in the plug-ins themselves and thus should not change. Only between different versions of AE have some bundled effects been moved to new categories. The rest is not clear. The plug-in list will eventuall wrap around, when it get's too long, but that should not affect overall use of the effects themselves.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Plug-in organization
            jackthegiantslayer Level 1

There really needs to be some form of plugin organization in After Effects, because once you install certain plugins like FX Factory (which creates something like 20 folders of plugins in the pulldown menu) everything else with names higher in the alphabet like "Trapcode" or "Utilities" gets pushed willy-nilly into the "Other" folder. Once in the "other" folder there is no organization whatsoever, subcategories of some plugins and main plugins all get thrown in together in one big mess. It's ridiculous. Yes, I know you can choose from the "Effects & Presets" window, but sometimes I'm up in the main menu and need a plugin right there, stopping and and going to the presets window impedes upon my workflow. Either tell these plugin developers to subcategorize their plugins in ONE main folder so they don't hog up the plugin menu, or allow After Effects to have a plugin menu that can contain more. It's a stupid, arbitrary limitation that is highly annoying.

• 3. Re: Plug-in organization
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If there's something that you think the After Effects team should do to improve this, file a feature request.

More on how to give feedback.

Personally, I never use the Effect menu. I always use the Effects & Presets panel. I find it very convenient to just type a few characters to get to the effect or animation preset that I want.

• 4. Re: Plug-in organization
                Michael Maller Level 1

Todd,

Do you have an extensive amount of plugins installed?

Sometimes when you have a lot of plugins you can't remember the particular name of a plugin that you are looking for.

I have FxFactory as well as all of the CoreMelt plugins, all of the Trapcode, Magic bullet, Digieffects (Delirium,etc)

Red Giant plugins (Image Lounge, Warp, Particular, Keying suite, etc) The Revision Effections bundle, and others.

When trying to create an effect it is sometimes helpful to be able to view your plugins as they appear in the effect menu list.

When you're searching for a look or when you're not sure how you are going to tackle a particular task it is very helpful

to see your plugins organized in a clear way in the effect menu. It often times sparks an idea and helps in the creative process.

When you have an extensive amount of plugins, this organization is not maintained in the effect menu, due to some limitation in AE.

At some point the runoff of plugins gets displayed in the Other menu in a very haphazard way.

It would be great if this limitation could get resolved.

Is there any hope in this happening?

• 5. Re: Plug-in organization
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Do you have an extensive amount of plugins installed?

Yes.

> It would be great if this limitation could get resolved.

Is there any hope in this happening?

As I said, if you have a specific change that you'd like to suggest, you should do by filing a feature request. Requests made through that form are by far the most effective way of telling the After Effects team what you want. Changes are made in part based on how many requests there are for a given change.

• 6. Re: Plug-in organization
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure I follow your argument. Sounds like you may in fact have too many plug-ins and thus need to think too hard what each of them actually does. Except for the "essentials" like Trapcode Particular or some of the RevisionFX tools, I find I still prefer to create a lot of visuals not by looking for some instant effects plug-in but rather combining other tools just to keep projects a) compatible with other users and b) to avoid the updating annoyances and cost associated with it.... So, for all intents and purposes, while it would be nice to organize the plug-ins in a custom fashion, it certainly isn't myy highest priority and it may not be for many other users that don't have an extensive selection as you do...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Plug-in organization
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'll agree with the OP that, at the very least, the drop-down effects menu should retain the structure intended.  Whatever limitation causes plugins to drop into the "other" category should be fixed.

• 8. Re: Plug-in organization
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'll agree with the OP that, at the very least, the drop-down effects menu should retain the structure intended.  Whatever limitation causes plugins to drop into the "other" category should be fixed.

Just make sure that you record that agreement with a bug report or feature request, since conversation on this forum has relatively little impact on what gets added or changed.