6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 8:54 AM by Chunick

URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems

ynykon

Hi

We have a Director project that was developed for european and US market

It contains a lot of text loaded from UTF-8 txt files

So, each character in this text is represented by 1 to 4 ASCII symbols, the charactercode of these symbols is always in the range from 0 to 255

For example

german Umlauts (ö,ä,ü,ß,Ö,Ä,Ü) are always represented with 2 symbols

ä  is a combination of ASCI symbols 'ä' with charactercodes 195 und 168

Japanese characters are mostly composed of 3 symbols, for example

character 'たis a combination if ASCI symbols ひ with charactercodes 227, 129, 178

It works super under non-asian windows systems

But when we change the localisation of windows to japanese - the problems begin

If I set some text from textmember (imported on english localisation) into some variable I get another characters as expected

Symbols in that text are joined in pairs to some other symbols with other charactercodes

For example

if the content of textmember is character た, mentioned above (consist of 3 symbols)

and I do following

myVar= member ("myText").text

the value of myVar is not 'ひ' as I've expected and as it was under english windows but the value is

'縺イ'   - the length of this string is not 3 but to and charactercodes of these symbols are 58241 and 178

That means, first 2 symbols of my original string were combined to some new symbol with charactercode 58241

And it happens with all successive pairs of symbols - as a result I get another text as I've expected and have no Idea what I can do with it

For example it destroys my xml, because if I have following text

<JP>ミ...秘密</JP>

last symbol of last japanese character in this text is combined with symbol <, which opend the closing XML tag and as Result instead of desired text I get something like

<JP>ミ....§˜å¯†/JP>

Is there any way to prevent this combination of symbols under japanese localisation into another symbols wtih strange charactercodes (58241 etc)

I've found in documentation parameter the romanLingo (the dafault value of it under european localisation was 1, under japanese - 0), but chage of this parameter to 1 under japanese localisation did not helped - the symbols are still combined to something new

EnableInlineIME feature is switched off by me

How can I solve this problem in another way?

Any Help will be apprecited

Thank you in advance

Yurij

• 1. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Which version of Director are you using?

• 2. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
            ynykon Level 1

Sorry, forget to mentioned it

Macromedia Director MX 2004 is used (with update 10.1.1)

• 3. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Why don't you try version 11.5? There is a trial available, and if you don't have D11 installed it won't "accidentally" overwrite anything important. D11+ is unicode aware so should make all these text-encoding issues a distant (if painful) memory.

Oh, and be sure to make a backup of any D10 files before opening them in D11.5 as the file format is updated and isn't backward compatible (you can't open a D11.5 file in D10)

Message was edited by: Sean_Wilson Reason: addendum

• 4. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
                ynykon Level 1

Sorry, change to Director 11 is not possible

Because we have a textengine for creating BitmapText based on fontdescription files  that store ASCII representation of all charactes in specific font

Then we work with ASCII representation of each UTF-8 letter that should be represented on screen

There are a lot of projects, based on this system and everything works ok on european localizations

Now the problem is we want to port everything to japanese localization

Everything works fine except of problems with texts that I've described above

If we change to Director 11, we  will have to re-implement many other features except of text engine, buy new Xtras etc

We are looking for quick solution, that concerns just text problem?

If we could forbid that joining of 2 character bytes into one byte with strange character code that would solve everything

Therefore thequestion is - how can we do this and if this is generally possible ?

• 5. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
                  ynykon Level 1

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Is there any way to manage this problem in Macromedia Director MX 2004?

Any help will be appreciated

The case is very very urgent

• 6. Re: URGENT: Problem with texts on japanese systems
                    Chunick Level 3

DMX2004 simply wasn't built to handle unicode. If you or the company you worked for built an engine to handle it and it works, but not with Japanese characters then I'd say you have more experience with trying to get unicode working in a non-unicode environment than pretty much most people here.

That being said, the only thing I can suggest is trying to get a hold of the developer of the Xtrema Xtra which is the only Xtra I know of that can handle unicode. Unfortunately, the link is broken now: http://xtrema.rtr.gr/ but fortunately, he also developed goMU to which there is still a working site: http://gomu.rebus.gr/ so maybe he can be contacted through there.

You might also try the Mile High Table O' Products

Otherwise, the best solution ( sans the fact that you guys have a custom built engine) is using D11.5 for unicode.