10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 2:50 PM by italtazman

Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues

italtazman

Hi - I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm trying to get a new video into Youtube.  I am exporting it using the H.264 Premiere default and changing VBR, 2 Pass, adding 30 keyframes and changing the audio to 44.1kHz from 48 (plus selecting "use best quality").  The videos are less than 1Gb and less than 10 minutes.  For some reason this is what I get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkelpUCC--Q

Does anyone know what could be the issue here?  The video plays fine in Windows.  I also tried to set the VBR to 3mbs for both max and average as an experiment and got the same result.

Thanks,

Rob

• 2. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It shows clearly why I have always said that YouTube is lousy quality. Maybe ask YouTube.

• 3. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
            italtazman Level 1

Does anyone have a "helpful" answer?  Obviously the issue is not YouTube quality, rather something in my settings when I encode the video.

• 4. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
              David Zeno Level 1

First off,

I'd try to upload a 1 min version of this video.  Forget about doing 10 mins, well in your case this video is 9 mins 51 seconds.

If you are new to doing this, that's just a big waste of time for ya.

#2 - Notice the "HQ" button on the bottom of your video, this tells me right off the bat, that you did NOT export to a HD format ( 1280x720 ) if you had,

Youtube would have said "HD" instead.

I do this all the time and video is brilliant on YouTube.

Settings

Export to H.264 , - choose that at the top of the export settings dialogue box.

From the PRESET pull down, choose " HDTV 720P 23.976 High Quality.

Now way down at the bottom change the frame rate from the the default 23, to 29.97

Export the video.

Do NOT touch any other settings.  Don fart around with anything else, just export like this.

Now upload to Youtube, and I assure you, you will have amazing video.  You will see the "HD" video little sign showing up after a few hours.

youtube takes some time to convert your video to its highest setting.  Youtube takes your video, tells you it's done uploading, but then will take

time to convert it to its own HD format, etc.  So be patient.  On your Youtube user page it will tell you that the video is still being processed or something... and this can go on for 2 hours...... so be patient.

If you , if you, if you did what I said above, you will have a beautiful video.  Do not upload that 10 mins video, take some time, and do a 30 second or 1 minute bit of that video, and you'll see how it works.  Uploading 10 mins of video like you did may take 6 hours to appear in HD quality.

Dave.

• 5. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                David Zeno Level 1

First off,

I'd try to upload a 1 min version of this video.  Forget about doing 10 mins, well in your case this video is 9 mins 51 seconds.

If you are new to doing this, that's just a big waste of time for ya.

#2 - Notice the "HQ" button on the bottom of your video, this tells me right off the bat, that you did NOT export to a HD format ( 1280x720 ) if you had,

Youtube would have said "HD" instead.

I do this all the time and video is brilliant on YouTube.

Settings

Export to H.264 , - choose that at the top of the export settings dialogue box.

From the PRESET pull down, choose " HDTV 720P 23.976 High Quality.

Now way down at the bottom change the frame rate from the the default 23, to 29.97

Export the video.

Do NOT touch any other settings.  Don fart around with anything else, just export like this.

Now upload to Youtube, and I assure you, you will have amazing video.  You will see the "HD" video little sign showing up after a few hours.

youtube takes some time to convert your video to its highest setting.  Youtube takes your video, tells you it's done uploading, but then will take

time to convert it to its own HD format, etc.  So be patient.  On your Youtube user page it will tell you that the video is still being processed or something... and this can go on for 2 hours...... so be patient.

If you , if you, if you did what I said above, you will have a beautiful video.  Do not upload that 10 mins video, take some time, and do a 30 second or 1 minute bit of that video, and you'll see how it works.  Uploading 10 mins of video like you did may take 6 hours to appear in HD quality.

Dave.

• 6. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                  italtazman Level 1

I'll do that, but my video is not an HD video.  It's SD.  Does that still work on youtube?

• 7. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I got mediocre results by encoding to WMV and uploading that to YouTube. When I say mediocre, that is in comparison to Vimeo. The settings I used from HDV material were exported to WMV with 1280x720 PAR 1.0 @ 25 FPS (original was PAL) with 2-pass unconstrained VBR @ 5200 Kbps

• 8. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                      italtazman Level 1

I did 30 second videos and tried using the H.264 default as is, I tried adding keyframes every 30 frames, VBR 1 pass, VBR 2 pass. Nothing.  Always the same weird result.

New Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kL67c-vr0

• 9. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                        italtazman Level 1

I fixed it.  The field order has to be set to Progressive.

• 10. Re: Premiere, H.264 and Youtube issues
                          italtazman Level 1

The field order needs to be set to Progressive