15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 9:03 AM by John T Smith

Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey

Anita E Adobe Employee

Please take our NLE User Survey – you could win $100 AMEX Gift Card.

We want to hear from you!

Adobe is seeking your input to help design the best products for post-production workflows, and we greatly value your input as we develop our video applications.  Please fill out our quick 10-12 minute survey, and as a thank you, you will be entered to win a $100 gift card!

Go to survey >
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Nk7Cf7W1D_2fMncDvby4hvXw_3d_3d

thank you,

Anita Engelman

(Premiere Pro Marketing Manager)

• 1. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
          Harm Millaard Level 7

How often do you want us to participate?

• 2. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Until you get it right, silly boy.

Hunt

[Edit] Actually, there are some different questions in this one - not all, but some.

• 3. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
              Anita E Adobe Employee

Sorry - did Alyson Abrego already put the survey posting up on the Premiere forums?  We work together and she went out on maternity leave last week, and she had only posted to a partial # of community sites and forums, so I'm just finishing that up and trying to get some more respondents. I apologize for posting again if this is a duplicate, and would like just one response per person.

Thanks Harm,

Anita

• 4. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Anita,

There was an earlier survey post done a few weeks ago. Either my memory is off, or this one does have some different questions, or has some questions omitted. The previous survey was more heavily weighted towards Scripting. This one has two questions on Scripting, but seemed lighter in that respect. I'd have to check the links to make sure that it's not just a weakness in my memory. Also, this survey seemed to have more questions on OS and 64-bit.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Anita,

I took the survey, but apart from what you may glean from my answers, the basic response is:

1. Get rid of the bugs.

2. Lose the bloated, but non-working parts, like transcription, or cell phone support.

3. Improve performance and stability.

4. Don't waste your time on making this a 'Jack-of-all-trades' program.

5. Improve the workflow with AME and capturing stills, like it was in CS3.

6. Forget about metadata, it is a waste of effort.

7. Add render farm capability.

These are my major remarks that came up.

• 6. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                    Anita E Adobe Employee

Great feedback, thank you!  I'm passing it along to the team...

• 7. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Anita,

To expand on my last point: One of the great features of CS4 over CS3 is the batch rendering capabilities of AME (despite the rather convoluted way of capturing stills from the timeline) so it would be nice to have renderfarm capabilities, like Vue has, so with people rendering for DVD, BR and the web, they can use multiple systems to share the load. That would greatly improve performance. Have a look at their approach: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

• 8. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                        Eric Addison User Group Manager

My comments for future versions :

1) Improve stability with larger projects (and just overall stability)

2) More frequent updates - I'd love to see monthly (or bi-monthly) fixes to small (or big) problems we users report. I know this may not be possible, but   it'd be nice to shoot for something like this. Nothing worse then getting an update and finding new bugs, and knowing I'll have to live with them until the next update...when ever that may be coming.

3) I like speech transcription, but it needs to improve greatly or it's not always useful.

4) Improve the titler

5) Better keying tools...maybe add Ultra technology in it?

6) I'd say 64 bit native, but I have a feeling that's coming...hopefully?

7) Improve the quality of output (i.e. HD to SD scaling)

8) Dynamic link is great - but I think it could be even better. I'd love to be able open PPro projects in Audition with all the separate tracks there and editable.

9) Honestly....I'd love to see better interaction from Adobe with we the users. I see in some of the other forums product team members who keep the users informed about things and help out when needed. With the exception of Wil, we don't hear too much from the PPro team, and I sometimes feel like we're left out here in the dark.

That's all I got at the moment....I'm sure other ideas will come to me as I edit.

• 9. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                          joshtownsend Level 2

Agree with the fellas but I have add again that a stripped-down cuts-only version of Premiere in After Effects would be way awesome.

Also more control over rendering like AE has (pick the processors used, Ram ect)

And I'll say it again 64bit native is a must.

• 10. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                            Paul Del Vecchio

Hi Anita!

I'll add a little more to what others have said...

I did the survey but I just wanted to post something here. I was using Premiere back in the Premiere Pro 1.5 days and it seemed like from then up to CS3, there really wasn't much to shout about. CS4 came out and blew me away, especially with this new 4.1 upgrade.

Here's what I would love to see:

1. Make the program stable as hell. (It's pretty damn good now)

2. It seems with CS4, Adobe started LISTENING and IMPLEMENTING what its customers wanted. PLEASE DO NOT STOP DOING THIS! I'd recommend Premiere right up there along with Final Cut and Avid with CS4. I could not say the same for Premiere pre-CS4. All these new features (FCP XML integration and Avid integration via AAF) are AMAZING!

3. I would love to see Premiere concentrated a little more toward film work as well (I'd LOVE to see it start being used up along side Final Cut and Avid in feature films). Perhaps this could include Premiere's own version of ProRes(FCP) or DNxHD(Avid). I know CINEFORM exists and is perfectly fine but incorporating something INSIDE Premiere would be awesome.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it but with the way Adobe has been listening and implementing, I'm a happy customer. Please keep this up and I will continue to recommend Premiere to EVERYONE I know.

Paul Del Vecchio

http://www.triple-e-productions.net

http://www.PaulDV.com

• 11. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

this survey seemed to have more questions on OS and 64-bit.

The survey I took from the original post was also heavily geared towards 64 bit, with very little on "scripting".  I wonder if some of the questions are branching - dependant on previous answers.

• 12. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                2. Lose the bloated, but non-working parts, like transcription, or cell phone support.

Oh God, definitely!  Make Premiere Pro a professional program for professionals who use professional media.  Leave the cell phone editing to Elements.

• 13. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                                  Eric Addison User Group Manager

JSS1138 wrote:

Oh God, definitely!  Make Premiere Pro a professional program for professionals who use professional media.  Leave the cell phone editing to Elements.

You know, I partially agree, but I do a lot of video work for a cell phone company, and I can say that there is big movement to get video (even live TV) to your cell phone. A great deal of media is going to be driven to your "wireless device" (as they call it), and I really think Adobe is trying to be ahead of the curve and engage this market. I have never used Device Central, but I have a feeling I may start this year...

• 14. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

there is big movement to get video (even live TV) to your cell phone.

I was talking more about compatibility with video from your cell phone.

• 15. Re: Please take Adobe's quick NLE User Survey
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows 7 Compatibility - prefer 64bit 'cause that's what I'm planning on building next year, once Win7 is at SP1 level and I can buy a completely debugged (2nd or 3rd iteration) motherboard and 12Gig of Ram for the Intel i7 processor