5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2009 2:11 AM by Mylenium

Basic question for new AE user

jkb242 Level 1

I have two sequences in a Premier CS4 project.  When I open AE and attempt to import a PP CS4 project I am prompted for sequence 1 or all sequences but not just sequence two.  I only want apply some effects to sequence two but can't find a way to get AE to allow me to just select that sequence.

Conversly, sending the sequence to AE seems to work using dynamic link but the composition that appears in AE seems to contain no clips that I can place in the work area on which to apply the effects.  I think this is a rather simple fix but I am really stuck and can find no reference how to deal with a sequence in AE.

Pleas help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Basic question for new AE user
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hi!

I just tried it exactly as you say, and the Premiere Pro project import dialog does offer the option to choose All sequences, Sequence 1 and Sequence 2.

Is it possible Sequence 2 is empty?

Dynamic Link is a completely differnent feature from Premiere Pro project import.

Project import brings an entire Premiere sequence so that it becomes an After Effects Composition, with edited clips converted to After Effects layers. Many Premiere Pro feautres and effects are also translated to AE equivalents, including keyframe animation. But it's not in sync with your Premiere Pro project after you import it. In other words, if you make a change in Premiere Pro, it won't update in AE.

Dynamic Link means that you can take an AE comp to Premiere Pro (or viceversa) as if it was a "clip", but any changes you perform in the "server" application are immediately updated in the "client" application. In many cases, you just prefer project import rather than Dynamic Link. But imagine, for example, making a sophsticated lower third animation in AE, bringing it into Premiere Pro and then being able to change the text content in AE and see it updated in AE. It's really cool, but it may not be what you need in this case.

• 2. Re: Basic question for new AE user
            jkb242 Level 1

Adolfo,

Thanks for the answer--at least someone bothered to comment but your answer is not relevent to the question???

I understand what is supposed to happen when a PP sequence is dynamically linked and sent to AE, BUT as stated, when the sequence is highlighed and then Dynamic Link is invoked the sequenc comes in to AE with all clips in the sequence flatten so there is nothing to which effects can be applied. Possibly I missed something in setting up the sequence to be sent to AE.  Some assistance would indeed be appreciated.

Could someone tell me why this is happening,  please.

• 3. Re: Basic question for new AE user
              yenaphe Level 4

jkb242 wrote:

when the sequence is highlighed and then Dynamic Link is invoked the sequenc comes in to AE with all clips in the sequence flatten so there is nothing to which effects can be applied.

What exactly do you mean by flatened ? Could you take aa screnshot for your sequence in pemiere, and then, your sequence in AE ?

When Dynlinked, you should see a composition (having the same name as your sequence) and inside the composition, a layer for each video/cut you've made inside Ppro.

Then you should be able to add effects to the composition or the layers themselves.

• 4. Re: Basic question for new AE user
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I understand what you mean.

Dynamic Link works that way. It's not a flaw, it's what it does.

It sounds like you want to use the Premiere Project import feature instead.

In AE go to File > Import > Premiere Pro project and select the Premirere project you're working on.

The whole Premiere Pro timeline will be translated into an AE comp (timeline).

• 5. Re: Basic question for new AE user
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

jkb242 wrote:

when the sequence is highlighed and then Dynamic Link is invoked the sequenc comes in to AE with all clips in the sequence flatten so there is nothing to which effects can be applied.

This is "as designed". AE sees DL'ed sequences merely as one long virtual movie clip. I concur with the previous statemnt - for your specific problem, the conventional PPro import seems more suitable, if you don't want to cut up the DL "clip" in AE again.

Mylenium