8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2009 7:52 AM by Stella1251 RSS

io error, placing eps in indesign

Stella1251 Community Member

Hi In ID CS4. In PS CS4

I made an eps in Photoshop & I have tried placing it into InDesign, but I get an error:

IO error occured creating the screen display for the imported eps.

Not sure what to do or how to prevent the error from happening.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign
          FivePicaPica Community Member

If you made it in Photoshop, have you tried saving as a PSD file and placing that?

• 2. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign

I didn't do the psd thing cuz I wanted to keep the vector intact. If there is a way to do that with a.psd file let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign
              Community Member

Forget EPS. Save as PDF to keep vector

• 4. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign

i am trying to bring this thing into INDESIGN so i can make a .pdf out of it there so i can have crop marks on it.

there must be some reason why i am getting this error

i dont want to make a pdf in photoshop because then the file will be 45215363612GB. I HATE that about CS4. I NEVER had this problem before. I used to make pdfs in the older versions but now they are way too big for some reason. who knows.

• 5. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign
                  Community Member

Stella1251 wrote:

i am trying to bring this thing into INDESIGN so i can make a .pdf out of it there so i can have crop marks on it.

there must be some reason why i am getting this error

i dont want to make a pdf in photoshop because then the file will be 45215363612GB. I HATE that about CS4. I NEVER had this problem before. I used to make pdfs in the older versions but now they are way too big for some reason. who knows.

Stella please detail exactly what you are doing. I place photoshop PDFs in ID all the time I then export PDF from ID and don't get files in the GB size. You are doing something wrong.

• 6. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign

i am exaggerating. they are not in the GB size.

I would rather make an eps & solve this IO error. this is really what I would like to accomplish.

right now i have a 8.5x11 size piece. i have saved the psd as an eps using various combinations of those checkboxes in the EPS options dialog box. putting it into InDesign gives me the IO error. One time it worked, but I receive another error. Failed to export an EPS item on page 1. View additional errors. Then I click OK & I don't get to see the additional errors. fabulous.

i tried making a pdf from Photoshop.

General - High quality print, preserve PS capabilities, optimize for web

Compression - Bicubic Downsampling 300 pix/in for images above 450 pix/in

JPEG, image quality is max.

Output - Color conversion is no conversion, profile inclusion policy is dont include profile.

Okay then I place the pdf in InDesign right.

The only pdf options that are different are of course the crop marks (WHY doesn't Photoshop do that?) & create a tagged pdf is checked. Also the profile inclusion policy says include tagged source profiles.

The file is 58MB. The Photoshop file is 46MB.

i placed an 18x24 photoshop eps into indesign the other day & the pdf exported was about 4MB. The psd file was 88MB. Using same pdf options here as above. What the? It's not like this 18x24" was a white blank screen either.

ready to give up & become a pirate or something.

• 7. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign
                      Michael Witherell ACP

If the artwork from Photoshop is really vector, then save it as PDF and place that in InDesign. It appears your artwork from Photoshop is also pixel based because you have the Compression and Rez settings showing up and set to 300 ppi. I would trim the 450 down to 301. I would choose Press Quality; not high quality print (intended for digital output). If file size is a concern, you might try setting the image quality to high instead of maximum. You don't need to preserve PS editing capabilities, necessarily, so that could save a lot of file size. I like including color profiles, ordinarily, and yes, that adds to file size somewhat.

By all means, stop using those old, moldy EPS filetypes. Or else be prepared to walk the plank or be keel-hauled! (Still want to become a pirate?)

Mike Witherell in Maryland

• 8. Re: io error, placing eps in indesign

I have never used an eps file since college. it just happened to work for me the other day just fine.

ill try the other options mentioned, but i have always done it that way previously.

So i take it no one gets this error???????

maybe i will walk the plank. i am so happy today.