2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 8:56 AM by tommydutch

Button state behavior

tommydutch

Hi all,

I'm just starting out with Flash Catalyst and going through the tutorials. However, I came across an issue which for some reason I cannot resolve. Hope you can help guys:

As I was goig through one of the getting started tutorials found on this site (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashcatalyst/articles/get_started_with_flash_catalyst.html) I had troubles getting the behavior & appearance of my 3 navigation buttons similar to the ones in the tutoral. Regarding this, I have two questions:

- Is there a way to have the "over" or "down" state stay active once a button is selected, even after the mouse is no longer over or down on this button? I've tried several things but no luck..

- From the above mentioned tutorial I noticed that when examining the final design ("main.html", how it should look & behave), that the first button has already been selected, and doesn't respond to a first mouse click. So, once a button is selected, it doesn't give a response on mouse down after the initial click (as to me it should be). However, when clicking on a different button, and then go back and click on the initial button, it does give a mouse down response. But only once. To me it appears that there are two "modes" a button can be in: start-up, and one mode once a button has been selected. Is this true, and how can I get the same result as the tutorial?

Hope this is clear. Many thanks for those that can help out,  much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

• 1. Re: Button state behavior
          Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

Hi Tom,

- Is there a way to have the "over" or "down" state stay active once a button is selected, even after the mouse is no longer over or down on this button? I've tried several things but no luck..

- From the above mentioned tutorial I noticed that when examining the final design ("main.html", how it should look & behave), that the first button has already been selected, and doesn't respond to a first mouse click. So, once a button is selected, it doesn't give a response on mouse down after the initial click (as to me it should be). However, when clicking on a different button, and then go back and click on the initial button, it does give a mouse down response. But only once. To me it appears that there are two "modes" a button can be in: start-up, and one mode once a button has been selected. Is this true, and how can I get the same result as the tutorial?

If you uncheck your button's 'Enabled' property in the properties panel (screenshot below) the button will show as 'disabled'.  You can change a button's Enabled property from state to state.

You can modify the look of the button's disabled state to appear as you'd like by double clicking the button component.   The up, over down and disabled states will appear.  This is how I accomplished the button behavior in the Getting Started tutorial.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Best,

Tanya

AdobeOnCampus001.jpg

• 2. Re: Button state behavior
            tommydutch Level 1

Thanks Tanya, I completely overlooked this "enabled" button!

It now works!

Cheers,
            Tom