8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 1:02 PM by the_wine_snob

PodCast / YouTube setup

ClarkieSue

Hi

I need to setup a workflow for making PodCasts and YouTube format movies in Premiere Pro CS4.

I was wondering if I should capture from my camera as WMV as the files are smaller and will only ever be used for internet delivery.

Would I use the 'Sequence Preset' - 'Mobile and Devices' - 'iPod, QVGA, sub QCIF' and then reduce to 320 x 240 when I produce the movies.

Are there Presets available to handle this process?

Thanks

SC

• 1. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you considered using a consumer application like WMM or Magix?

• 2. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
            ClarkieSue Level 1

I have pruchased Premium Pro CS4 and want to use it and all it's features to make the movies.

SC

• 3. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
              Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case you may have made the wrong purchase decision. If I need to drill a hole in the wall and buy a saw or screwdriver, I have made the wrong decision and purchase. Same seems to apply to you.

Sorry if this sounds condescending, but you are trying to use the wrong tool for the job you described.

• 4. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would Capture into a Project/Sequence that matches your camera's output. Then Export to the desired format.

It will require a bit more HDD space, but you will have the Capture, when the client loves the PodCast so much and wants to distribute it on DVD/BD. Then, all of your edits are done, and you'll just change the Export settings to match.

I come from the still, print side of things, and clients always start out with one use in mind. It's not until later that they want a magazine cover, and one only shot in a tiny format, 'cause all the images were going to be used for was the company's Web site. Only had one assignment bite me, because I went bigger and better to start off.

The time to process the larger framesizes will likely be offset by requiring PrPro to handle the CODEC issues. Might not be a complete wash, but I'll bet that it'll be closer than one would imagine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I would Capture into a Project/Sequence that matches your camera's output.

There's the rub, Bill.  It sounds like the OP does not have a suitable camera.  (DV, HDV, P2, XDCAM, etc.)

• 6. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that can be a limiting factor when going for quality. Still, going with the camera's capabilities and either doing the Capture in PrPro, or doing a conversion, should these be from an incompatible camera, will give the most that is possible, however good/otherwise that is.

Hunt

• 7. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Quality is not the issue here, when the OP considers WMV as the ingest format. And given the output, quality is not the issue either. So WMV is allright for the purpose described and the resolution mentioned. so just use a desktop sequence setting that matches your source material (what was it, 320x240?), edit away and output to WMV. Any cell phone or alternate output can handle that (apart from Apple, but then you may need oranges).

• 8. Re: PodCast / YouTube setup
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I probably just missed it, but thought that the 320x240 was the output framesize.

Still, if WMV was even a consideration, you and Jim are probably correct, that getting an image onto the devices would suffice over quality.

When I get handed "stuff" that is already bad, I will still attempt the highest quality possible. I may have to work with that "stuff" but I don't want anyone coming back on what I did with it.

Hunt

PS - Jeff, I'm trying to keep it clean here. We all know what "stuff" is. Don't want my ticket punched.