4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 10:32 PM by RickP33

PP CS4 effect I just cannot create

schlossd Level 1

I know this must be an easy effect to create but the Mad Cow is kicking in and I just cannot figure it out.  Ok here is what I have.

Wedding First Dance.  Two cameras are shooting. One is tight with the couple on the right of the frame, second is medium wide with the couple on the left of the frame.  I want to show both at the same time with a soft gradient blend in the center of the two shots.  I suspect it is a matt and I cannot figure out if I do this in PP or in PS.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

• 1. Re: PP CS4 effect I just cannot create
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Stack the clips on top of each other (doesn't matter which is on top or bottom), and apply the Linear Wipe effect (in the Video Effects > Transitions category) on the top clip. Even though this is a "transition", it's not an auto-animating one like those in the Video Transitions bin; you need to keyframe it to get it to actually transition. This makes it perfect for your purpose. Adjust the Completion % to create the split, then adjust feather to blend them.

Note that you may need to change the angle 180 degrees, depending on which clip is on top.

• 2. Re: PP CS4 effect I just cannot create
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Nice tip. I would have gone it with Track Matte Keying, but this is so very simple.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PP CS4 effect I just cannot create
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Linear Wipe is my favorite hidden gem. For having only three parameters, it's pretty versatile. It's my go-to for a lot of simple masking/matting/cropping effects.

• 4. Re: PP CS4 effect I just cannot create
                RickP33 Level 1

Here is my suggestion: Edge Feather.

Take the couple on the right of the frame, and move them to the left of the frame. Take the couple originally on the left side, and move them to the right side. Apply the edge feather to both images, and move them together so that they blend smoothly.

I've done it this way a few times, and I also like to Start with the opacity stronger on 1 side, and then gradualy switch it so the other side's opacity is stronger.