5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 2:16 PM by ChromeShark

AS3 Communication with Director 11?

ChromeShark

Hi,

I have a Flash AS3 swf embedded into a Director 11 file so that I can open external .exes from the Flash. After I installed HF3 the Flash runs fine, but I need to pass a command from Flash to Lingo to open the file (with Buddy API). Previously I'd have used getURL, so I figured the AS3 equivalent would be:

navigateToURL(new URLRequest("lingo:openFile"));

When I try this it works when I preview in Director, but not when I publish as an exe.

I've searched for a solution and cannot find one, this is the only way I can think of opening .exe's from a Flash file. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: AS3 Communication with Director 11?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

If you are trying to send this request to Director on a button click or other user interaction, perhaps you could try 'setCallback()' - check the docs for more details.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AS3 Communication with Director 11?
            ChromeShark Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't looked into setCallback. However I can only find documentation with AS2 code on the Flash side, I tried converting this to AS3 but with no success (this method still requires navigateToURL/getURL which seems to be where the problem is).

• 3. Re: AS3 Communication with Director 11?
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Did you look at the Help that ships with Director? There's a page on the DOUG WIKI that might be worth reviewing. All in all I think you're going to be lucky getting this to work with an AS3 sprite given that lack of support in the Flash Asset xtra.

Do none of the other Flash wrappers, like Zinc, provide what you need?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AS3 Communication with Director 11?
                Applied CD Level 1
                so that I can open external .exes from the Flash

Chrome,

It might be worth looking into Northcode’s SWF Studio (http://www.northcode.com/index.php). This is more or less a 3rd party Flash projector with the file system class un-nerfed (eg: you can use shell to launch executables) and some other nice features (eg: Director like control over projector size, preventing window resize, etc...) It’s fully AS3/CS4 compatible and unlike publishing via AIR it doesn’t involve any messy installs for the end user. To be honest I’ve only used the trial version but it was easy to implement, functioned as promised, and solved our issues until the project moved in a different direction and the extra features became unnecessary.

For future Flash projects that will be distributed on CD and require Director like file system capability this product will be at the top of our acquisition list.

• 5. Re: AS3 Communication with Director 11?
                  ChromeShark Level 1

Many thanks for your suggestion, Northcode SWF Studio worked perfectly!

Sean - Thanks for your help too, I can say for sure that your suggestion wouldnt work, but I couldnt find the appropriate AS3 documentation to implement it correctly.