9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 6:14 AM by sudhirm-rRcgag

Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?

richardELeach Level 1

Hi-

I've tried numerous places but can't seem to find Flash Builder 4 specific documentation.

I'm working with the examples provided on the adobe labs site (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcatalyst/tutorials/) and I was looking for a way to get the value from a service call to word wrap inside of a DataGrid (for example, if the returned value is longer than the row length of my DataGrid, my expectation was that by checking the Word Wrap checkbox inside of the Configure Columns context box would do the trick, but it does not).

It would be great to know where the reference materials are for all of those available properties and values that are listed for each component inside of Flash Builder 4. Otherwise it makes working with this application next to impossible for us noobies to Flex.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

• 1. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
          Peter deHaan Level 4

Rich,

You can find the Flex 4 Language Reference at http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/ and the Adobe Flex 4 (Using Flex 4, Using Flash Builder, Creating data-driven application with Flex, and Tutorials) can be found at http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/html/.

Also, the Flex Documentation Team has a blog at http://blogs.adobe.com/flexdoc/.

Peter

• 2. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
            richardELeach Level 1

Peter-

Thanks for the quick response.

Is it possible that the Gumbo docs are not updated? For example, inside of Flash Builder 4 I have a DataGrid control that has all of the available properties listed for it in the Properties tab on the right side of the screen. One of those properties is "wordWrap", and I've tried searching for it as well as drilled down into the DataGrid selections in the left hand columns under Packages and Classes (http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/mx/controls/DataGrid.html).

I suppose my expectation is that if there is a functional property or attribute in the Flash Builder 4 application, I would at least expect to see a reference to it if I did a search for it, and so far I'm unable to find anything that yields any results. Am I missing a documentation file? Do you have any other reference or documentation sources that we as developers should integrate into our workflow while trying to learn Flash Builder?

Thanks again for your help,

Rich

• 3. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
              Peter deHaan Level 4

Rich,

The wordWrap property is listed at http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/mx/controls/DataGrid.html under the Properties heading. It can be a bit tricky as the wordWrap property is actually inherited from the ListBase class, so it may be necessary to toggle the "Show Inherited Public Properties" so the inherited properties are also listed. You can read more about the wordWrap property at http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/mx/controls/listClasses/ListBase.html#wordWra p, and here is a simple example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
              <!--  -->
              <s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
                xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
                xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo">
               <mx:DataGrid id="dataGrid"
                 variableRowHeight="true"
                 wordWrap="true"
                 verticalScrollPolicy="on"
                 left="20"
                 top="20">
                <mx:dataProvider>
                 <fx:Array>
                  <fx:Object c1="Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit." c2="1" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Aenean pellentesque, nulla eget aliquam cursus, nibh nunc condimentum mi, vitae interdum dui libero a purus." c2="2" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Cras scelerisque eros id turpis cursus pretium." c2="3" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Nulla non condimentum sem." c2="4" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Proin dignissim placerat elit sed laoreet." c2="5" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Pellentesque nec quam erat, eget molestie urna." c2="6" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Maecenas elementum sapien tempor mauris eleifend lobortis." c2="7" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Donec nec ipsum nulla." c2="8" />
                  <fx:Object c1="In fermentum nunc et erat elementum consequat." c2="9" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Donec turpis purus, elementum ut adipiscing ut, malesuada eu mauris. Aliquam erat volutpat." c2="10" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Fusce mollis, ante a iaculis tempor, odio libero suscipit tellus, quis dictum leo ante sit amet leo." c2="11" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Curabitur quis enim quis dui commodo vestibulum." c2="12" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Vestibulum sit amet egestas velit." c2="13" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Fusce dapibus pellentesque eleifend." c2="14" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Fusce eget ligula ut elit adipiscing consectetur." c2="15" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Integer et erat urna. Pellentesque cursus pulvinar nisi in tincidunt." c2="16" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Nam tincidunt orci eget justo tristique ultrices commodo vitae nulla." c2="17" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Vestibulum molestie, eros at imperdiet tempor, tortor purus gravida massa, id molestie ipsum lectus at est." c2="18" />
                  <fx:Object c1="Ut interdum condimentum velit, id sodales lectus mattis nec." c2="19" />
                 </fx:Array>
                </mx:dataProvider>
                <mx:columns>
                 <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="c1" width="250" />
                 <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="c2" />
                </mx:columns>
               </mx:DataGrid>
              </s:Application>

Peter

• 4. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                richardELeach Level 1

... so in case anyone else is going through this same thing, I have deduced that in order to make the "wordWrap" functionality work as you would expect, you also need to enable the "variableRowHeight" property to "true".

In my humbled opinion, we have a bug here. Either:

... properties that have immediate dependencies like the one I described above with the wordWrap functionality should automatically be flagged or adjusted so that the developer doesn't have to go on an Easter Egg hunt to achieve the desired functionality.

OR

... the docs need to be updated and cross referenced so that when a "wordWrap" type of functionality is desired by the developer the docs would reveal all related dependencies, or at the very least appear on the Adobe docs sites!

All of the bells and whistles afforded to us developers are minimized and rendered almost unusable if we can't find suitable documentation. For example, (again, in Flash Builder) the "currentState" property of the DataGrid control has a drop down menu, implying there should be a limited set of values permitted as values for this property. Yet it is blank and I'm running into the same issue as described above; I can't find any references to this property/value pair in the docs. I know Flash Builder is still beta, but will these documentation (actually, usability) issues be addressed when the final product is released?

Thanks again,

Rich

• 5. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                  Peter deHaan Level 4

Rich,

Can you please file against the Flex Documentation project at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex/ for the docs to include a cross reference between the wordWrap and variableRowHeight properties. Also, feel free to file a bug/enhancement request against the Flex SDK project to change the default value for variableRowHeight to true (although that may be too risky a change considering it could break the behavior of existing apps).

Thanks,

Peter

• 6. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                    Peter deHaan Level 4

Actually, I think the wordWrap docs do mention that you must also set the variableRowHeight property:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/mx/controls/listClasses/ListBase.html#wordWra p

wordWrap property

A flag that indicates whether text in the row should be word wrapped. If true, enables word wrapping for text in the rows. Only takes effect if the variableRowHeight property is also true.

The default value is false.

• 7. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                      richardELeach Level 1

Peter-

Thanks so much for your help with this.

I will log the bug as instructed, but I think the bigger issue at hand is that when I entered several terms in the search field none of the related properties were returned (as a matter of fact the searches yielded 0 results, try the "wordWrap" search and you'll see what I mean). So even though the properties were related to classes that were extended from other classes the searches still came up empty, indicating to me that the search functionality is incomplete, or, the documentation simply isn't done yet.

It just seems to me that Flash Builder, and ultimately the entire Flex language would be more usable and much easier to learn if the searches like those we've been talking about in this thread extended all the way up the class hierarchy, or at least gave the user the option to select the immediate class only or search the entire hierarchy....  I think that's the type of bug that I'd like to file with Adobe.

Either way, I'm grateful for your help with this, at least now I know how to properly use the docs!

Rich

• 8. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                        Ram Krishnaiyer (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi,

"for example, if the returned value is longer than the row length of my DataGrid, my expectation was that by checking the Word Wrap checkbox inside of the Configure Columns context box would do the trick, but it does not"

This looks like a bug - does the generated code set variable row height as well? Can you log one for us to track here: http://bugs.adobe.com/flex

Ram

• 9. Re: Where can I get docs for Flash Builder?
                          sudhirm-rRcgag Adobe Employee

Hi Rich,

wordWrap property can be found both in DataGrid control and in DataGridColumn

Setting wordWrap property in the DataGrid Control to "true" will wordWrap the header text and the contents of all the columns of the DataGrid.

Setting wordWrap property in the <DataGridColumn> to true will word wrap the text of that particular column. However, this will not wordWrap the header text of that column. For the header text to be word wrapped, use the headerWordWrap property of the <DataGridColumn>

By default, both the wordWrap and the headerWordWrap properties of <DataGridColumn> are undefined. When undefined, the DataGrid control's wordWrap property     is used.

In the "Configure Columns" Dialog of Flash Builder, checking the check box for Word wrap, will set the wordWrap property of DataGridColumn to true, but it wont set the headerWordWrap to true

Thanks,

Sudhir