11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 8:55 PM by pixlor

Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7

Hi

My Firworks CS3 installed all great and its mainly fine, but when I go to use any tool such as eraser and blurr etc where the cursor is not the standard mouse it is laggy, I believe this is due to the way fireworks is rendering the mouse cursor.

My photoshop CS2 is ok and other CS3 products are OK its just fireworks CS3. My old Firworks 8 was fine. I believe that it is something to do with the desktop composition as when I turn areo off, its perfect, but I need areo on.

Does anyone have any iedas?

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
          pixlor Level 4

Firewoks CS3 has the same problem under Vista. You might try the same fix, as Win7 is pretty much the same code base as Vista. You can change Fireworks' properties so that when it launches, Aero is disabled (but only while Fireworks is running).

1) Go to where Fireworks is installed, usually C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3
          2) Right-click on Fireworks.exe and select Properties
          3) Select the the Compatibility tab
          4) Under Compatability mode label, select the checkbox for Run this program in compatability mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down box.
          5) Under the Settings label, check Disable desktop composition
          6) Click OK.

Now, when you start up Fireworks, your system should flicker as Aero is disabled (there's a message, which you can disable), but your bitmap tools should work. When you close Fireworks, your system will flicker as Aero returns.

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
            30021190 Level 1

I dont want to disable desktop composition, I need aero running all the

time.

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
              pixlor Level 4

Then use CS2 or upgrade to CS4.

The bitmap editing tools in Fireworks CS3 do not function properly under Vista and the symptoms you describe for Windows 7 are the same. There was no bug fix for this problem. Disabling Aero while Fireworks is running is the only option.

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                30021190 Level 1

that sucks, it really does. How come adobe haven't address this issue? I

cant upgrade or downgrade as my license is with a Uni and they only have

CS3.

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                  pixlor Level 4

They did address it. They released CS4. Or, there's the workaround to disable Aero when you launch Fireworks. Or, you can downgrade to XP. Or, you can just not use the bitmap tools in Fireworks. Those are your options.

I use CS3 on Vista and the only app I use that isn't perfectly happy without Aero is Chrome. Everything else works fine in basic mode. Aero goes off when I launch Fireworks and it comes back when I close Fireworks. I don't know why you insist you need Aero on all the time. Aero is not a functional aspect of the OS, it is just something that looks really cool.

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                    Nadia-P Level 5

I use CS3 on Vista and the only app I use that isn't perfectly happy without Aero is Chrome. Everything else works fine in basic mode. Aero goes off when I launch Fireworks and it comes back when I close Fireworks.

Same for me.  I use Fireworks all day long (CS3 on Vista) and have used the fix to go into basic mode when using it.  I have a heap of apps open, including facebook, twitter, multiple tabs in Firefox, MS Word, Excel etc., and there is no problem switching between apps - Aero plays no part in my everyday work flow.

Once I finish with FWs, Aero comes back into play - don't even know the difference.

It's an easy fix and if you are really having problems as you say - you'll do the fix  - same as a lot of us have done.  :-)

• 7. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                      30021190 Level 1

But this is windows 7, not Vista! Aero plays a bigger part in it all. Just

sounds like I will have to just not use fireworks and I aint buying CS4 as

my CS3 was free from uni.

• 8. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                        Nadia-P Level 5

Have you at least tried the fix?  How do you know what will be affected until you try  :-)

If you find it doesn't work for you, or interrupts your workflow, it's easy enough to switch back to the default.

• 9. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                          30021190 Level 1

the fix? Being turning off aero while I use fireworks? Yeah, I have tried

that and it slows down my work a fair bit.

• 10. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                            ShaneGrimm

Thank you pixlor, your solution has worked for me.

Exact same experience, Fireworks worked great until I used any of the bitmap tools and then the cursor was slow slow slow.

Running Windows 7 64-bit with Aero Theme

Fireworks CS3

Capture.PNG

I didn't change the compatibility mode, I just checked Disable desktop composition.

Now when I start Fireworks, I can see the Aero theme is turned off (it takes a second, both monitors go black and then come back on).

A minor inconvenience, and it saves me from having to upgrade to CS4. Sorry, I really can't see why other people are complaining about this. I'm also running Chrome and it restored to the aero theme perfectly fine.

Thanks again!

Message was edited by: PDAJunkee - sorry fixed typo

• 11. Re: Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7
                              pixlor Level 4

Thanks for posting that the Disable Desktop Composition fix works for you under Windows 7! That's good info to know.