11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 6:55 AM by BrianOG

Adding edges to an edge

BrianOG

Have created a rounded rectangle in Fireworks 8. I then made it transparent and added an edge. How can I add a think line around the inside and outside of the edge (like a colored picture frame with, say, black borders).

Would appreciate advice on the experts on this. Am relatively new to Fireworks.

• 1. Re: Adding edges to an edge
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

I suggest to use a simple rectangle because is more editable than a rounded. Draw your rectangle, add roundness to it and then do a simple copy paste. For the pasted rectangle go to the stroke color box, the small drop down menu and select outside path. Change the tip size to something bigger to see it working. Hope it works for you .

• 2. Re: Adding edges to an edge
            BrianOG Level 1

Hi Panos,

Thanks for your helpful reply.  It seems to work fine for  simple rectangles

but, as you suggest, rounded rectangles seem to be more difficult to

manipulate.

When I try the same technique for rounded ones I do not see the path

options. Unfortunately I need to do it with rounded rectangles.  Is there

any other method you could suggest?

Brian

• 3. Re: Adding edges to an edge
              pixlor Level 4

Make two rounded rectangles, one that is the size you want for the inside of the frame. Make sure the smaller one is on top.

Select both rectangles, then Modify > Combine Paths > Punch. This removes the area of the smaller rectangle from the larger one.

Now, you have a complex shape that is a frame. You can change its fill color and also give it an edge.

• 4. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                BrianOG Level 1

Hi,

Thanks.

But how can I have an inside edge as well?

Brian

• 5. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                  BrianOG Level 1

Hi,

Have tried it with edges on both rectangles and it seems to work well.

My next problem is to make the rounded corners really smooth. Can you

suggest a way of doing that?

Brian

• 6. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                    BrianOG Level 1

I find, when I use your technique it works fine and I end up with a "frame"

with an inside and an outside edge. This shows as a Composite Path in the

layers panel.

Fine. But when I try to "paste inside" the frame it pastes the image inside

the frame, not inside the transparent area inside the inner edge of the

frame.

How can I solve this problem?

• 7. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                      Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Here is another solution.

Draw your rectangle, add stroke and also apply the photoshop live effects stroke to make it both smooth and with two strokes.

• 8. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                        pixlor Level 4

Sorry, I can't help you with the way Fireworks anti-aliases. What I've seem to been advising people to do, lately, is make their Fireworks document two or four times bigger than what they want their eventual output to be, output a flattened version at that larger size, open the flattened version and reduce appropriately. *shrugs* Not ideal, but it does help for some problems.

As for your paste inside problem...the composite shape you have does not have anything "inside" anymore. When you punched out the smaller shape, you threw that part away. What you have now is more like the letter O. All is not lost!

Make another rounded rectangle, maybe one where the outline fits inside the frame you just made. Move it below your frame in the Layers panel, then paste your image inside that.

As an alternative to pasting, you can use your new rounded rectangle as a mask over your image. Have both your image and new rectangle in the Fireworks document. Make the rectangle white and place it over the part of the image you want to show. Select the rectangle and image, then use the menu item

Modify > Mask > Group as Mask.

(Oh man! I typed this all out, then got interrupted, came back hours later to find it still sitting here waiting for me to hit "Post Message!" )

• 9. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                          BrianOG Level 1

Thanks so much for all the work you have done.

Will try out what you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Brian

• 10. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                            BrianOG Level 1

Thanks so much for all the work you have done.

Will try out what you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Brian

• 11. Re: Adding edges to an edge
                              BrianOG Level 1

Thanks so much both of you for all the help you have given to me on this question. It has certainly solved the problem.

Regards

Brian