7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 3:57 PM by okvideoguy

Quicktime and media encoder problem

rdreyfus

I am trying to make a quicktime movie with Premiere CS4. The project is 870 still frames rendered from 3DS MAX. Everything works fine when I export and it sends the movie to Media Encoder's Queue. When I hit "Start Queue". the project starts to encode then quickly finishes with a green check mark next to the project, however no video is made. Please note I have tried other file formats such as AVI and it works fine. This seems to be am issue with QT. I have tried just about every QT codec as well and nothing seems to work. The codec I normally use is animation.

I have successfully done this many times in the past with no problems. Unfortunately, I recently had to replace my main harddrive which died that stored Windows XP, therefore I had to re-install Adobe Master Collection CS4. After the reinstall media encoder won't make Quicktime movies anymore.  And yes I have QT installed. I had ver 7.6.2. I read somewhere that 7.5.5 works better with premiere CS4 so I found that, uninstalled 7.6.2,  and installed 7.5.5, however, unfornuately it did not fix the problem. Anyone know how to fix this or having the same issues? Please see my specs below. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks for help in advance.

Intel Quad processor

4 GIG Ram

Nvidia 8800 GTX video card

Adobe Premiere CS4

Media Encoder 4.1.0

Quicktime 7.5.5 (also tried 7.6.2 - the most recent)

• 1. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
          rdreyfus Level 1

Just a quick update. I tried uninstalling Master Collection and reinstalling it. I remembered that when I first install it, I did not have QT installed yet. I thought this might be the problem. Anyway, reinstalling with QT already installed did NOT solve the problem.

• 2. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Many people have reported problems with Quicktime, which is why the more common name is QuiRckTime. Do you have any possibility to export to another format?

• 3. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
              rdreyfus Level 1

I need to make a video for my website which is built in Flash. I tried a FLV as a work around but it does not seem to want to play off the webserver. I have had good sucess with using Quicktime movies as they seem to progressively download. I really need to get this working. I have since installed QT 7.4.5 which still is not solving the problem. My only other option at this point is to use an older version of PRemiere I guess. I just don't understand. I was able to make QT movies with CS4 with no problems before reinstalling Windows XP. Now it just won't do it no matter what. Very weird!

• 4. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem

it wouldn't hurt to have more specifics.  You say you rendered from 3DS MAX, but not what format you saved to and imported from into PP. Also, what type of project format in PP are you using (note that there are more options than the default NTSC video).

As for the Flash, I presume you are aware that an FLV file will not play without a player (SWF) file?

I am not having any difficulties encoding Quicktime (mov) and Flash (flv) files, though ipod format from NTSC projects have been problematic.

• 5. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
                  rdreyfus Level 1

It actually does not matter which project format, compression scheme, or source file format I use. I have experiemnted to death with this. Even just simple 3 second footage (no transitions or anything fancy). It does this on each and every Quicktime movie I attempt to make. Other formats such as avi and FLV seem to work fine. I export the movie, it opens media encoder, it sits in the queue, I hit "start queue", the progress bar quickly flashes yellow, and a green check mark appears under "status". However no movie is created.I have tried everything I can think of such as uninstall and reinstall both premiere and quicktime, use an older version of QT, use the lateset version of QT, try to save on a local drive instead of network, to name a few.

Here a sample from the encoding log.

7/9/2009 2:09:56 PM : Queue Started

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Ron.RON\LOCALS~1\Temp\Untitled3_3.prproj
                  - Output File: P:\projects\demo reel\clips\up in the attic\Sequence 01_1.mov
                  - Preset Used: Custom
                  - Video: 310x240, 29.97 [fps], Progressive, Quality 50
                  - Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
                  - Bitrate: Animation
                  - Encoding Time: 00:00:00
                  7/9/2009 2:09:56 PM : File Successfully Encoded

7/9/2009 2:09:57 PM : Queue Stopped

7/9/2009 2:13:39 PM : Queue Started

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Ron.RON\LOCALS~1\Temp\Untitled3_4.prproj
                  - Output File: P:\projects\demo reel\clips\up in the attic\Sequence 01.mov
                  - Preset Used: Custom
                  - Video: 310x240, 29.97 [fps], Lower, Quality 50
                  - Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
                  - Bitrate: Sorenson Video 3
                  - Encoding Time: 00:00:00
                  7/9/2009 2:13:41 PM : File Successfully Encoded

7/9/2009 2:13:41 PM : Queue Stopped

hope any of this helps.

• 6. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
                    rdreyfus Level 1

Also yes I am using a flash player...but that is a whole different issue.

• 7. Re: Quicktime and media encoder problem
                      Level 1

There was someone having a similar problem on the www.weddingvideodoneright.com forums,and others were having various issues with ME not creating files and so I've copied this from that thread and hope it helps. Also, check out the Adobe link at the bottom-

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:49 PM  »
                      Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove Split TopicSplit  Topic

Digging further, this is the "official" solution  from adobe  -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do one or both of the following solutions:

Solution 1:  Create a shortcut to the Premiere Pro executable file, rename the shortcut to  Premiere, and move the shortcut to C:\Program Files\Common  Files\Adobe\dynamiclink.
                      Close all Adobe applications.
                      In Windows  Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. (If you  installed Premiere Pro CS4 in a location other than the default of C:\Program  Files\Adobe, then navigate to your custom installation location.) 
                      Right-click on Adobe Premiere Pro.exe (which might appear without the .exe  extension) and choose Create Shortcut.
                      Rename the newly created shortcut to  just Premiere.

Important: The name of the shortcut must be exactly  Premiere with no other characters.

Open a second Windows Explorer  window, and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink. 
                      Move the Premiere shortcut that you created into the dynamiclink folder. 
                      Solution 2: Remove and reinstall all Premiere Pro CS4 components or all  Adobe Creative Suite 4 components.
                      Do one of the following:

Windows  XP: Choose Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
                      Windows  Vista: Choose Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
                      In the  list of installed programs, select Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, Adobe Creative Suite  4 Production Premium, or Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection.
                      Click  Change/Remove (Windows XP) or Uninstall (Windows Vista).
                      Follow the  on-screen instructions to remove all components of Premiere Pro CS4 (including  Adobe Encore CS4 and Adobe OnLocation CS4) or to remove all components of your  edition of Adobe Creative Suite 4.
                      Re-install your Adobe software.

The url is: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407106.html