13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2009 6:55 PM by Ned Murphy

Need help changing website template text buttons!

ChicwithBrains Level 1

I just started using Adobe Flash CS4.  I am a newbie and do not have flash experience other than teaching myself how to do it.  Problem.  I have a website template that allows full customization and has 4 flashing text buttons on the header.  Everything has been working flawlessly until this....When I go to change the text for any one of the text buttons it changes the text in all of the other text buttons regardless of what I do.  Can someone walk me thru how to change it so that I can put different text for each text button?  ChickwithBrains is about to go POSTAL.

• 1. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do all the buttons show that same changed text when you play the file?

• 2. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
            ChicwithBrains Level 1

No it doesn't.  It shows the template text in the last three buttons when played.

• 3. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!

Does that mean they all show different text from each other when you play it, even though they all show the same text when it is not playing?

• 4. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                ChicwithBrains Level 1

Yes Ned, that is exactly what it means.  Can you help me out???

• 5. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!

I'm trying to, but I have to have an idea of what the situation is first.  From your answers it sounds like the text in the buttons is assigned via actionscript.  So you will need to try to find that code.  Code will normally be found in a timeline layer dedicated to code... in frames that have a small "a" in them.  The code itself is viewed in the Actions panel (Window -> Actions)

If you click on each button in the editing mode, you will hopefully see an instance name for each in the properties panel.  If the text is assigned via code then for a button that code would reference that button's instance name....  this is a generic example, not to be taken literally:

buttonName.textLabel.text = "text you see when played";

You would need to change the "text you see when played" to whatever button label you wish for each button.

• 6. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                    ChicwithBrains Level 1

Well Ned unfortunately for me each button does not have an Instance Name.  This is the code that I get when I select a button:

onClipEvent (load) {
                    num = 1;
                    }
                    on (rollOver) {
                    gotoAndPlay("s1");
                    }
                    on (releaseOutside, rollOut) {
                    gotoAndPlay("s2");
                    }

Then this is what I get when I select the txt_button

gotoAndStop(_parent.num);

Seriously I am at a loss.  It doesn't make any sense.

• 7. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!

From the code you show, I can tell that it's using Actionscript 2...  which is helpful to know in that it will rule out any AS3 possibilities.  From that code it appears these buttons may actually be movieclip symbols. When you click on one of the buttons on the stage, what does it display as the symbol type in the properties panel? (Button or MovieClip)

What is that txt_button you named... where did you get that name from?

I am at a disadvantage in helping you because I don't have CS4 so I have to rely on hoping that they didn't thoroughly revise what panels show what.

• 8. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                        Windhorse Media Level 1

Many flash website templates generate buttons dynamically from the values you supply in an array within the Actionscript. For example, you might find an array like the following which would then be used to generate five buttons each titled with individual strings listed in the array.

var myMenu:Array = new Array("Welcome", "Services", "Clients", "About","Contact");

If this is what is going on with the template you are using, you should probably be able to locate the array within the actionscript found on frame 1 of the movie timeline.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                          ChicwithBrains Level 1

You are correct.  It is a Movie Clip.  The Txt_button is in the Library when you click directly on the text itself.  Hopefully that helps you help me.  Disadvantage or not, you have already helped so far.

• 10. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!

Windhorse Media made a good suggestion.  You should start looking thru the actionscript code and see if you can find the text strings that display for the button labels when you play the file.

I was thinking you might have four different movieclip buttons that share the same symbol for the textfield such that the code for each could be inside the movieclips themselves, but if there is only one in the library, then it is more likely you'll find the button labels in the main timeline code.

If your template came with a data file of some kind, such as .xml or .txt, then it's possible the button labels are defined in the data file as well.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                              ChicwithBrains Level 1

True this was found for the menu itself and I had no problem editing that.  This is a second flash that plays in the middle of the page.  I was literally able to completely change the entire look of it and add pictures no problem.  I thought the text would be the simple part.  I haven't found anything yet.  I will keep looking.  Thanks for your suggestion!

• 12. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!
                                ChicwithBrains Level 1

Okay I got it to work.  So this is how...

I tried in the action scripts and nothing was there.  Completely missing.

So I selected the button by clicking on the timeline and then went to Movie Explorer.

I was able to select TEXT.

I had to go Frame by Frame thru both button and txt_button.

It was in the txt_button under layer, under frame, under layer, under frame, etc.

I was able to edit the actual text in the Movie Explorer by double clicking on the actual text line.

There you can put in your actual text.

Once you are done entering the text in all of the buttons you can then go back and click on them directly and adjust the font type and size thru properties.

Not too bad for a girl who just started using this program 2 days ago.

Thanks for all of your help!  Now there are all sorts of things I want to create.

• 13. Re: Need help changing website template text buttons!

Glad to hear you were able to dig in and find what you needed.  There are right ways and wrong ways to build templates, and right and wrong can depend on what end of the deal you stand on... if you're the person that's selling them, I suppose the right way is to make them hard enough to edit that the customer might not have a choice but to hire the designer.  If you're the buyer, I reckon the right way is to be provided with simple designs and instructions on how to adapt things.