3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 9:44 AM by Professor S.

Still converting Win app to Mac projector - how do I pack all of the files? like a setup.exe

Professor S. Level 1

I have been working on converting one my educational apps over to Mac because so many students are requiring it now. Still having trouble getting some check boxes to line up properly and have lost the sound, but I am more concerned right now figuring out how to create the equivalent of a setup.exe.  If I could just compress the projector.osx file along with the other .dcrs I think that could work.  Students could just download my compressed file into a folder in their Applications folder, uncompress my file , and then just click on the .osx to start the app.  I am not very familiar with Mac software so if there is an equivalent to winzip or an open source program like the one I use to create setup.exes that would be great. I think there is an hqx way of doing it, but I don't know how to create an hqx  Please advise - thanks!

Professor S.

• 1. Re: Still converting Win app to Mac projector - how do I pack all of the files? like a setup.exe
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You would be better to create an bundle or package for your app, and store it in a DMG file that can be downloaded - these are all things Mac users are familiar and comfortable with and is the "standard" way of distributing Mac applications.

Here is a TN on creating a Mac bundle. You'll want a Mac to do this on, and also to create the mountable disc image (.dmg) file - possibly one with a copy of the Developer Tools installed (it's been too long since I've done this). Some folks swear by Filestorm for disc image creation, but it seems to me it doesn't offer anything you can't find in the Developer Tools if you do some research.

• 2. Re: Still converting Win app to Mac projector - how do I pack all of the files? like a setup.exe
            fazstp Level 2

I don't know of any way to do this from Windows. You will probably need to use someone's Mac, although if you want to continue developing for both platforms it is handy to have access to both for testing and development purposes.

As Sean mentioned there are Developer tools which are supplied with OSX. They aren't included with the standard installation but they are included on the OSX disks. These include PackageMaker which creates an OSX native installer pkg.

The more common option however is to simply create a disk image (dmg) with Disk Utility which is part of the main OSX installation. Users can then mount the disk image and drag and drop the app into their preferred location. Common practice is to create a shortcut within the disk image pointing to the applications folder so they can simply drag the software onto the shortcut to copy it across.

• 3. Re: Still converting Win app to Mac projector - how do I pack all of the files? like a setup.exe
              Professor S. Level 1

I have been able to borrow a Mac from my school, but am not familiar with the developer tools or disk utility. The developer tools for PackageMaker are not installed, so I'd like to try the dmg route before traveling all the way back there. Let's just say that I have all of the files I need in one folder I created within the Applications folder and I just want to put all of those files in one dmg file.  How would I do that?  I see disk utility ruuning in Finder Services, but it just says create a checksum.  Is that it or is disk utility somewhere else? [I have been researching this and just found it in Applications: Utilities.  I am creating a new image now and hope the dmg works. I have not figured out my second question howver about the shortcut]

Also, let's say that the dmg will include several dcr files and my launchapp.osx file.  How do I create that shortcut to the launchapp.osx file so students will know how to easy launch the app?

Please help with question 2, thanks.

Prof. S.