11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 3:33 PM by Rchenko

Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?

Rchenko

Hi.  I'm pretty disheartened about what I have learned about AE CS4 not working well, at all, with my HDV footage.  I have spent a lot of money to be able to shoot, edit and add Effects to HDV footage.  Everything works well accept the Effects.  Can anyone suggest a solution to this depressing problem?  Is there something I can download so AE can work with .m2t files?  Will Adobe be addressing this major problem in the future?  Besides, isn't HD or HDV THE FUTURE? How do Hollywood and the networks use AE "The industry Standard"  to add effects to their HD footage?  This seems to be a question that nobody seems to want to answer or can.  If all hope is lost with this and I do have to convert the .m2t files can someone suggest quality conversion software and what files type I can convert it to that will look half desent?  I have tried MP4, AVI and WMV and they all look bad when I bring them into AE.  I'm sorry for my tone as I am quite disapointed.

If anyone could shed any light on this problem it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Ryan 

• 1. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Ryan:

You forgot to explain how is it that they don't work well for you.

What exactly is the problem? In which way do the effects not work?

This seems to be a question that nobody seems to want to answer or can.

Why do you think that? I am here to do just that, and many others are willing to do the same thing, but first we need you to explain the problem. So far, you mentioned there is a problem. But you haven't described it.

• 2. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
            Rchenko Level 1

Ok.  The problem is that when I import .m2t files into AE and drop them into a comp it appears as 4:3 instead of 16:9.  I have to click and drag to resize to 16:9.  Then when I render I can't render a codec that can be used again in Avid.  I try to render it as a Quicktime movie but the system keeps crashing. I heard that HDV does not work in AE.  Is this true?

Ryan

• 3. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
              I heard that HDV does not work in AE.  Is this true?

No, it's not true

Are these files copied straight from a file-based camera, or captured by an Avid system?

If it's the latter, then it could be simply that After Effects can't get the data it needs to interpret the file correctly (AE has a text file with interpretation rules for most combinations, but perhaps there isn't such a rule for specific HDV files ingested by an Avid).

You don't have to squeeze the clip manually in AE.

If you know the frame size and pixel aspect for these files, you can correct this in Interpret Footage, ask AE to Remember Interpretation and then Apply the Interpretation to other such files in your project.

But this can probably be fixed for good. If you provide a short sample, I can try to add an interpretation rule for the text file that hopefully will automate this, so that this kind of sources always come with the right frame/pixel aspect.

Then when I render I can't render a codec that can be used again in Avid.  I try to render it as a Quicktime movie but the system keeps crashing.

Can you describe the steps you're performing to render a file? You are not using File > Export, right?

• 4. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?

Just in case... regarding the frame aspect, do you have the Pixel Aspect Correction button turned on?

PAR.jpg

• 5. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
                  Rchenko Level 1

Here is the process that I'm trying to undertake.  The files that I am working with have been captured in Avid from my Sony Z7 HDV.  The footage was filmed in 1080i.  I'm not sure if it was interlaced or progressive and for that matter what number of I or P.  Does this matter?  So then when I export a clip from Avid the only codec that seems to play HDV footage correctly after the export is .m2t.  I think the pixel aspect is 1440 X 1080  and my frame is 16:9.  I have attached a small .m2t file that I exported from my Avid project.

As for rendering the finished AE project.  I select "add to render queue"  then in "lossless" I select "Quicktime Movie"  RBG + Alpha , Millions of Colors +

and no audio output.  Then in "Best Settings" I choose Best and Full.  I do notice that my pixel aspect is 1920 X 1080.  Everything else is set to current settings. and my frame rate is 29.97

Log is set to "errors only"

Then when I click "render" nothing happens.  Then when I click the mouse again the sceen goes white and it says that AE is not responding and is seaching for a solution to the problem.

I can render other codecs without a crash like MPEG2 and MEPG4 but these cannot be used again in Avid and are letter boxed but play well with good resolution.  AVI on the other hand is jumpy.  I am so close but not quite there.  Do you know a codec that will work?  I haven't tryed them all but I will.

I don't know if any of this info helps but there it is.

• 6. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?

Apparently, the video file didn't come through (probably because of the extension)

If it's really small, send it to arozenfe[at]adobe.com

If it's more than 10 MB or so, please post it yousendit or a similar service and post the link, ok?

Regarding frame aspect (1440x1080), that usually goes with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.33... since it's using non-square pixels you HAVE to turn on PAR correction with the button I showed you above, or it will look stretched.

Make sure the Comp you're using these files in is based on an HDV 1440x1080 29.97 preset.

If there's anything else, I'll find out when I can take a look at the file.

Rendering from the Render Queue to Quicktime Animation should not give you any problem.

What OS are you on?

How is your configuration? RAM? CPU?

Now, setting it to millions of colors+/RGB+Alpha shouldn't cause a problem either. But you surely know that this option is to store transparency in the video file, right? If you don't need that, try with RGB/Millions of Colors.

You could also try AVI with the YUV 4:2:2 8 bit codec. This will produce a huge file, I mean HUGE, but should look really well.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
                      Rchenko Level 1

Well Adolfo the PAR button worked!  It looks good.  I'm still having some trouble rendering out a file I can drop back into avid.  I tried the YUV 4:2:2 8 bit and the 10 bit AVI.  Is AVI "video for windows" ?  The 8 bit played a black sceen and the media player said that it couldn't play the 10 bit and may need a codec and you were right, it was huge at 704MB.  Should I try and find a codedc to play the 10 bit YUV?  There doesn't seem to be a Quicktime Animation selection that I can try.  Other sources have told me to try this aswell.

My OS is Vista and I have 7 gigs of RAM

I really appreciate the help.

Ryan

• 8. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?

Don't use a 10 bpc codec if your project is 8 bpc. It's filling megabytes with color values that the application doesn't produce.

The AVI 8 bit 4:2:2 codec is Video For Windows, yes. But it's possible (I'd had to check) this is handled by a decoder in Adobe apps.  So, you could add a codec so the Avid can read it, but I wouldn't go that route.

Quicktime Animation should work. It's really suprising that it hangs your system. What do you mean by selection? The Alpha type and such options? They're in the Output Module, not inside the Quicktime Animation options.

Here you can find Avid's latest version of their Quicktime codecs. You could then pick Avid's codecs in the Quicktime format options.

• 9. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
                          Rchenko Level 1

I am still having some major problems with my AE.  It is always crashing.  I was trying to work with a photoshop file in AE, moving an resizing two photoshop layers.  The program froze numerous times when attempting this simple procedure.  It seems that it would freeze after I opened media player while working on this project.  It would also freeze after I answered the phone and hadn't done any work for 5 minutes.  It also still freezes after attempting to export a quicktime file.  What could be the problem?  Is it my computer?  It is only 6 months old and has 7gigs of ram.  Could it be the always problematic Vista?

• 10. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?

Hard to say, without knowing your full configuration (you stated the amount of RAM and OS, but what CPU, graphics card, etc)

Did you update AE to 9.02? That may help.

Also, what mode are you using for Fast Previews (the lighting bolt icon at the bottom of the Comp panel?) If you have one of the OpenGL modes, you can try turning OpenGL off for previews (set it to Adaptive Resolultion).

• 11. Re: Is there a plug-in available to use .m2t files in AE?
                              Rchenko Level 1

OK here are the rest of the specs:

Motherboard: INTEL DP35DPM, Socket 775

Processor:  INTEL CORE2 QUAD @ 3GHz, 1333FSB, 12MB CACHE

RAM:        KINGSTON 8GB KIT (2 X 4GB) DDR2 800MHz  (maunf. model# KVR800D2N6K2/8G)

VIDEO CARD:  PNY NVIDIA QUADRO FX 570 256MB PCI-E  (manuf. Model# VCQFX570-PCIEPB)

O/S:         MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS 64BIT

I did update AE to 9.02 and that fixed all of the freezing problems while I was work on a project but I am still having problems rendering out a quicktime movie that will work in Avid.

I finally got a quicktime animation to render out of AE but my computer crashes when I try and import to avid.

Then I have tryed the Avid Codec Selections with Quicktime Movie including Avid 1X1, Avid DNxHD, Avid Meridien Compressed, Avid Meridien Uncompressed, Avid MPEG 2 -50, Avid Packed Codec and none of those even started to render out.  I says that it is queued but not started and it just stays like that until I click my mouse again.  Then the screen goes white and it says that AE is not responding.  I tried to render out a Quicktime Animation again and this same problem occured.

What is the Open GL renderer?  I did try to render with the Open GL selected but I had the same results.

What is compression?   Should I render compressed or un-compressed?

I have updated my NVIDIA drivers aswell.

So basically my computer crashes when exporting from AE and when importing to Avid.  Do you have any suggestions?  I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Ryan