2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 7:06 AM by the_wine_snob

error compiling, out of memory

zgillenwater Level 1

I just finished my first ever PE movie, and I exported it successfully. I watched the exported movie and discovered one tiny thing I wanted to fix. So I made the change in PE, then tried to export again. Now, it only gets about 1/3 of the way through exporting before it says there was an error compiling, that it's out of memory. I've gotten this error several times now.

I don't understand why my machine had no problem cranking out the movie the first time, but now can't handle it. I already tried restarting my machine and PE, and that didn't help. Any other ideas for how I can free up memory and get PE to export this successfully? I of course am not actively running any other programs while PE is exporting, and I've shut down all the background programs that I know of.

This is a movie for Father's Day, so I have to finish it asap!

• 1. Re: error compiling, out of memory
          Paul_LS Level 4

Are you exporting as a video file or burning to disc?

Causes of out of memory issues:

1) Any large resolution stills in the movie? These can cause problems, if so they need to be resized to around 1000x750.

2) What format is the video you have in the movie. Again Premiere Elements struggles with compressed formats. These may need conversion to DV-AVI.

Also do you have plenty of free space on your hard drive (40G/50G).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: error compiling, out of memory
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Also do you have plenty of free space on your hard drive (40G/50G).

This is a big question, and likely leads to why an Export worked once, but not the next time. Many files are created by an NLE program, when doing an Export. They take up a great deal of space. This defragged free space is essential to the NLE being able to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful