6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 6:00 PM by Filmemacher

Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?

Filmemacher Level 1

In order to record HD in a 4:2:2 manner - a couple of recording options are currently available, which result most likely in AVC-INTRA 50/100, ProRes 422 or Long GOP 422. Which of these formats are supported by CS4(Windows)?

• 1. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

DVCPRO HD is supported.

• 2. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
            Filmemacher Level 1

...thanks for your feedback - but DVCPRO HD is for me more like a tape format, please correct me if I am wrong. Changing my environment to HD now - the TCO of a tape based workflow would kill me. And the the post-production rework required by mounting and HD-SDI recorder to a HD-SDI input of an AJA card would cost me to much money.

What are other people doing? ...do they convert? ...do they use 3rd party plug-ins?...or do they edit with VEGAS, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, Edius or even Matrox Axio because they all support at least some of these professional formats? If so, which editing software can be installed together with CS4?

Well, I just investigated a product called "prospectHD" from cineform, which aims to do the conversion bit. Is here someone who has experience with this workflow? ...how long does the conversion of one of these 4:2:2 HD file formats take? ...are other products available too?

(...sorry, my question isn't answered yet because I would like to see a workflow.)

• 3. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

DVCPRO HD is for me more like a tape format, please correct me if I am wrong.

While there are DVCPRO HD decks out there, not a single camera I know of uses a tape for this format.  It's all solid state, same as AVC-I.

• 4. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
                Filmemacher Level 1

...thanks, I looked it up on these big HD-SDI recorder. They indeed record HD DVCPRO, which has 4:2:2. Ok, so here is my first workflow:

OPTION 1: PANASONIC big HD-SDI recorder with tiny screen utilizing HD DVCPRO recording option or one of these P2 varicams, which directly can record HD DVCPRO.

... do we have other options as well? - still searching

• 5. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I can see several advantages going the camera route.

1.  Solid State.  Assuming from your posts your intent is to record other sources than a camera, this should still work, and the only 'real-time' part of it will be the original recording.  The transfer from P2 to edit rig will be much faster than a DVCPRO HD deck.

2.  Multiple formats.  I don't know enough about DVCPRO HD decks so say that this isn't also true for them, but there are several cameras that can record both DVCPRO HD and the superior AVC-I.  And at this time there is good reason to believe support for AVC-I is forthcoming in CS4.

3. Shooting.  Even if your primary goal is to record from sources other than a camera, having a camera does give you that option in the event you ever need to record from camera.  A deck does not.

• 6. Re: Which 4:2:2 CODICES are supported?
                    Filmemacher Level 1

...thanks again for your suggestions - for me solid state is the path. With the big recorder and small screen I refer to the Panasonic AG-HPG20E, in connection with CS4 I can now only use the HD DVCPRO format. Some of my old tape recorders I will still keep so long clients like to have tapes.

Could I also recapture with CS4 an HD 4:2:2 feed with 100 Mbps - for example by using these AJA 2k cards? This would take me more time but might be a solution until we have third party tools.