3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 7:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Help - lots of problems - very frustrated with PRE7

flatse

I've been working on a project for some time with much difficulty and once I solve one problem another comes up and different problems occur each time I work with the video. Here's where I'm at - any and all help would be EXTREMELY helpful.

- Virtual Memory - I get message often that it's low. I incresed my page file to 3048. I have all of the files on my external hard disc (200GB with 50GB free) and the actual PRE file on my computer (100GB with 24Gb free). The video is 30minutes long (when i try to burn to DVD it's 1.84GB, to .flv 70MB and to Mpeg 1318MB). The video is made up of still images, video, and music. I've already resized all images to 1000x750 and made sure all video is DV-AVI.

- Errors - I get all sorts of error messages. Some times the porject won't load and it's says PRE has to close. When I'm able to get the program to open I've successfully rendered it and saved it. But when I try to burn to DVD I've gotten transcode error at 5% or I get a message saying "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0. Click on OK to terminate the program." Or it just freezes and does nothing.

- when trying to make it a .flv or .mpeg I get a message saying failed to return a video frame - cancelling operation.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? One idea is I have Premiere CS3 and I thuoght of putting the movie in there but then the whole thing appears as a sequence that I can't edit. Is there a way of editing it once converting it to Premiere or do I have to rebuild the whole thing? I'm so frustrated at this point and feel that I get different messages each time and after trying to troubleshoot this on my own for the past week I just can't figure it out.

• 1. Re: Help - lots of problems - very frustrated with PRE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're wise to resize your images. That would have been my first suggestion!

First, ensure that the external drive you're working on is formatted at NTFS and not FAT32. FAT32 drives (as all drives are by default) have a file size limit that can choke large operations.

Also, ensure that both your C drive and your external drive are cleaned of temp files and defragmented. The FAQs to the right of this forum offer a good regimen for keeping your computer running smoothly.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

And ensure that your operating system is up to date (XP SP3 or Vista SP2), that you have latest Quicktime and the latest RealTek drivers for your audio, if applicable.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

Aside from the still images, you say you have video and music.

What is the source and format of this extra footage? What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

We also have troubleshooting steps for burning a DVD in our FAQs. These will help you isolate where the process is failing.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help - lots of problems - very frustrated with PRE7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, as Steve says, more info on your Assets would help greatly. The more detail, the better. To get some idea of why, and what to do, you might find some useful tips in this ARTICLE.

Next, tell us more about your computer. It appears that you have only two HDD's, your C:\ (internal), and an external. What is the connection of the external HDD, it's size and amount of free space. I'm also not clear on where your Page File is located. The more info, the better.

Also, tell us how your Project is set up and details on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? One idea is I have Premiere CS3 and I thuoght of putting the movie in there but then the whole thing appears as a sequence that I can't edit. Is there a way of editing it once converting it to Premiere or do I have to rebuild the whole thing? I'm so frustrated at this point and feel that I get different messages each time and after trying to troubleshoot this on my own for the past week I just can't figure it out.

As for the use of CS3, it should be able to Import your PE Project (/PREL) into CS3. This Import as a Bin, with your Project as a Sequence. To open that, just drill down to get to the Bin with the Sequence and Dbl-click on it to get it open in the Timeline. You should then be able to fully edit it.

Normally, when problems arise, they stem from:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

That is why we're asking about these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help - lots of problems - very frustrated with PRE7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              - Errors - I get all sorts of error messages. Some times the porject won't load and it's says PRE has to close. When I'm able to get the program to open I've successfully rendered it and saved it. But when I try to burn to DVD I've gotten transcode error at 5% or I get a message saying "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0. Click on OK to terminate the program." Or it just freezes and does nothing.

This error/error type is very often caused by a memory error, and most often with either the Page File, or by some program not reporting memory usage properly to the OS. That is why full disclosure on your Virtual Memory setup is critical. Also, what programs are also running, and what Processes are loaded? Task Manager>Processes will tell you. You likely have some loaded Process that is acting up. Also, when you get a crash, immediately open Event Viewer. Look in System and Application tabs. Open ALL yellow warning messages, and ALL red error messages. Follow all links provided. Some might give you a clue as to what is happening and why. Some will just be obscure code and of no use. Do not get frustrated if most are just code. Look for the ones with real info and also links - follow those links and read.

[Edit] For a closer look at Event Viewer, see this ARTICLE.

- when trying to make it a .flv or .mpeg I get a message saying failed to return a video frame - cancelling operation.

This is a common error when one has any gap in the Video Timeline. Zoom in to the frame-level in horizontal scale. set through the Clips, looking for any gap. If you get this message, note the % of Export/Transcoding. PE has a two-pass encoder, so you may have to do the math to really get you close to the spot, i.e. 50% of the operation is pass 1 of 100% of the Timeline. If you get it with say 98%, then you do know that it's happening near the end of your project, so the math aspect is diminished a bit. Sometimes gaps will Encode fine, other times a 1-frame gap will bring a Project to its knees.

Good luck,

Hunt