9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 2:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Source file error again

dericktrotter Level 1

I am getting really fad up with not being able to do simple things with this prog...... all I want is a file to go into encore ......if I go to dynamic link to encore it gets so far then tell me encoding failed...... now I'm getting this error message again .

Any help will be great

Thanks

Mike

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\MIKERA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\estelle show prempro4_3.prproj
      - Output File: D:\estelles show 2009\second half.m2v
      - Preset Used: PAL High Quality
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 04:00:28
      21/06/2009 13:49:25 : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Source file error again
          dericktrotter Level 1

Thanks Eddie but I have done that fix before ....its strange really as I have 2 time lines in PremPro I have already exported the first timeline to encore and its burnt off and plays ok .......Now I go to export the second timeline it plays up.

really fed up with CS4 as I have not had this prob with CS3 .....trouble now is I have done the whole project in CS4 and cannot get it back into CS3.

They are making this prog to complicated i think....used to just burn straight from PremPro.

I have just bought Vegas Pro 9 .......will have to re-edit the whole thing.

Mike

• 3. Re: Source file error again
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

its strange really as I have 2 time lines in PremPro I have already exported the first timeline to encore and its burnt off and plays ok .......Now I go to export the second timeline it plays up.

That might indicate that there is a problem with the second Sequence/Timeline.

Tell us all about your Project, with details paid to the Assets, where they came from, the format/CODEC, etc. The more detail provided, the more likely it will be that someone can find the problem.

As a "test," try things the "old fashioned way," by doing an Export from your problem Sequence as elemental streams, i.e. a non-muxed stream pair of one Video-only file, and one Audio-only file. In En, Import the Video-only file as a Timeline and the Audio-only file as an Asset. From the Project Panel, drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline. Establish the proper navigation with Links, and test Burn a DVD RW, or BD RE.

Let us know how that goes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Source file error again
              dericktrotter Level 1

I have tried all avenues now .......wiith audio....without audio ......every option

So I tried to export it as an AVI and i get same old error as follows.

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\MIKERA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\estelle show prempro4_3.prproj
              - Output File: D:\estelles show 2009\second half_2.avi
              - Preset Used: PAL DV
              - Video: 720x576, 25 [fps], Lower, Quality 100
              - Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
              - Bitrate:
              - Encoding Time: 00:09:15
              22/06/2009 13:38:41 : Encoding Failed
              -----------------------------------------
              Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.

Why in this day and age cant it tell me what the problem is ........ if it accepts it on the timeline it should render out surley

Cant waste anymore time with this CS4 ....will have to edit whole thing on CS3 again ......what a hunk of junk and waste of money .

Mike

• 5. Re: Source file error again
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

i get same old error

No that is not the same error that you started this thread with.

it makes it very difficult to help you when you confuse the issue like that.

Cheers
                Eddie

• 6. Re: Source file error again
                  dericktrotter Level 1

Ok Eddie it might not be the same error .but its still not encoding the same file on the same computer .....still an error as far as I can see .....

I was told to try diff things and I have and now i'm saying I get the same old error message......one that does not give any idea of what the problem is ......

Sorry if i wasn't clear ......but i tried your suggestion as i told you in my reply to you.......

Thanks anyway

Mike

• 7. Re: Source file error again
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

You would do yourself and us a great favor if you can give us much more details on your project and source material. Keep in mind that you are the person behind the computer, we can't watch over your shoulder to see what you are doing, we have to rely on what you post here and how clearly you express yourself, to see if we can be of any assistance.

Don't take this as an insult, but read the following link carefully, so you understand we need your help in order to help you:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

The most important questions we have is the codec used in your source material (use GSpot), your project/sequence settings and your export settings. Also which version of PR are you using on what OS?

• 8. Re: Source file error again
                      dericktrotter Level 1

Well at last I have found the solution......this it what I did.

Buy a cheaper program, in my case Pinnacle studio 12,    and import all the files you have in Prem Pro one at a time and export to AVI..... it seems to handle them when Prem Pro will not......then replace the files in Prem Pro and it will work.....simple.

Just need a prog thats not so fussy.

Mike

Going back to CS3......much more stable......

• 9. Re: Source file error again
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For a different situation, I do similar. Most of the files that I convert to DV-AVI Type II work perfectly in PrPro. Every now and then, one Imports with a heavily truncated Duration. Nothing can be done in PrPro to get the program to see the full Duration. I found that I can Import these same files into PE and just do an Export to the same exact settings: DV-AVI Type II. Now, when Imported into PrPro, the Duration is perfect. Something is amiss, and I've never found out what. G-Spot gives the same exact specs, Duration, etc., as does MediaInfo. PE corrects this problem, whatever it is.

Sometimes, one needs to grab a different tool for a particular job.

Good luck with Pinnacle,

Hunt