6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 10:04 PM by illini19

Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?

Powered by Design Level 4

I have a dual monitor graphics card and can run 2 monitors but dont have a second monitor yet.

I did hook up an old 15" CRT and played with the dual setup but it was weird.

Right now I have a 22" widescreen monitor and might get a second one when I build a new system later this year.

I have seen videos where people are running a dual monitor for the NLE and have a large HD or LCD for viewing in fullscreen.

How do you set up 3 monitors ?

Do I need an extra graphics card.

I have a nVidia 9800GT with 2 DVI plus S-video

Can that S-video be hooked up to make it 3 ?

Any ideas welcome.

• 1. Re: Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I have seen videos where people are running a dual monitor for the NLE and have a large HD or LCD for viewing in fullscreen.

This is a common setup - 2 computer monitors for the program and then a calibrated broadcast monitor, or similar, for viewing the Program Monitor. This third monitor is set up via FireWire and the setting for it are adjusted in PrPro. There are vairous ways to actually make that connection, i.e. through a deck, or a camera, or other. There are also some considerations for SD and more for HD, plus limitations.

Good luck, and just wait until you have dual-monitors for the progam. It will keep you happy for a few months.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, the normal way as described by Hunt, no, no.

• 3. Re: Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?
              Powered by Design Level 4

Thanks.

What is the S-Video jack for ?

I've used both DVI but have never used the S-Video jack.

If using both DVI does the S-Video jack go dead ?

Glenn

• 4. Re: Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The only way to get a 3-rd monitor out is by using firewire. I guess that the S-video connector is only for games or other applications, but not for Adobe. I have never found a use for it on my video cards, but then I don't have any games. I have it connected through a Panasonic DV2000 deck, which is connected through SCART to the TV. It plays back both DV and HDV/XDCAM-EX timelines without problems, with the limitation that when choosing Desktop audio in the playback settings, the program monitor freezes. This does not happen with External Audio selected.

P1000161.jpg

PS. Did you look at your private mail?

• 5. Re: Does anyone run a 3 monitor setup ?