3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 9:02 PM by shedridc

DNG 5.4 does not work well with Olympus E-620

shedridc

I just installed the DNG converter 5.4 to use with the RAW ORF files from my new Olympus E-620.  The converted images are not the same as the jpg images or the RAW images as converted by the Olympus Master software.  They are duller in the highlights and darker in the shadows.  The difference is NOT small and is readily noticeable in the image and when comparing the histogram.  It looks like part of the problem may be that the Olympus automatic gradation may not be interpreted properly, but the difference is even more than just this.  I can turn this on and off in the Olympus Master and the difference is similar but a greater difference than just this alone.  Further, the Olympus Master software cannot open the DNG files.

I would also like to rgister my high dissatisfaction with the short life of the Adobe software due to the new RAW converters not working with older Photoshop or Lightroom software versions.  I am using Lightroom 1.2 and PS CS3, and I do not want to spen the considerable cost of upgrade only to be able to convert my RAW files.  Also, I do not like to have to convert my RAW files to DNG first, because I loose some of the editing options that I can only do in the Olympus software, and it creates another step in my workflow.

• 1. Re: DNG 5.4 does not work well with Olympus E-620
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generally, third party RAW converters, including Adobe products, do not know

about Olympus-specific in-camera settings other than White-Balance.

The toning defaults for ACR may not be similar to the defaults in the

Olympus camera or software.

You can set different toning defaults in ACR if you want using the Alt key

in the Develop module and clicking on the Set Defaults button.

If you buy a new camera expect to update your software to support it.  At

least update LR to 2.4 when that is released.

• 2. Re: DNG 5.4 does not work well with Olympus E-620
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

shedridc wrote:

The converted images are not the same as the jpg images or the RAW images as converted by the Olympus Master software. 

Well, doh...since Camera Raw is using it's own processing parameters and algorithms, the odds of ACR "matching" the camera makers software is not real high. At some point when ACR 5.4 is finally released Adobe may have some additional DNG Profiles for the camera that may make color a closer match but the tone curve will prolly always needs tweaks. It would behoove you to either create presets that you can apply in Bridge or alter your ACR "Defaults".

shedridc wrote:

I would also like to rgister my high dissatisfaction with the short life of the Adobe software due to the new RAW converters not working with older Photoshop or Lightroom software versions.

It's been Adobe's policy to only support currently shipping products. As such, customers who upgraded to Ps CS4 can expect about 18 months of free support and Camera Raw updates. Fact is that while you WERE a current customer when you bought CS3 and you got 6 free ACR updates (ACR 4.6 was the last version for CS3), you are no longer a current customer.

You may not like the DNG Converter step, but that's what you have if you wish to use your new camera with your old software...your other alternative is, of course to simply use the software that came with your camera.

• 3. Re: DNG 5.4 does not work well with Olympus E-620
              shedridc Level 1

My older Olympus E-500 RAW ORF files were converted very well by the Lightroom 1.1 converter.  The camera settings are in the exif info and should be readable by the converter software.

Adobe's choice to "support" software for only a short time is purely a marketing decision by them to make more money.  I'm sure the new converters could easily be make compatible with older PS or Lightroom versions if they wanted to.  There should be no technical reasons they cannot do this.  If Microsoft supported their products for only 12 or 18 months there would be a huge outcry from everyone.