6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 5:52 PM by the_wine_snob

    Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others

    GaryPearce10 Level 1

      Adobe Media Encoder just stopped working in my current project (in PPRO CS3). I'd output several MPEG2-DVD and Windows Media Files. Then I went to make one more MPEG2-DVD file, and when I clicked OK in AME, nothing happened. It should open a window to select where I want to put the file, and a few more options. No crash, no freeze, no error messages..and no output.

       

      None of the AME formats work (WMF, Quicktime, etc). But other exports do work. I made my MPEG2-DVD file using Export to Encore.

       

      I opened another project I'm working on, and AME does work in that project.

       

      Back to my current project, and it still doesn't work.

       

      I've rebooted, and uninstalled-reinstalled PP CS3.

       

      Anyone fixed this?  Thanks!

        • 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
          the_wine_snob Level 9

          Gary,

           

          I'm not 100% certain of exactly what is happening. You've had successful Exports via AME - have any of these been with this particular problem Project? I know that other Projects have Exported fine, but has this one ever done so, in the state that it's in now?

           

          If so, can you think of any changes. If not do you have any ideas of what changes have been made to this Project, since it last Exported? Basically, I'm asking what is different about this Project at this time, and also details on the history of Exporting it.

           

          Good luck,

           

          Hunt

          • 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
            Jim_Simon Level 8

            If it works for other projects, then just create a new one and import the problem project into it.  Then try exporting from the new one.

            • 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
              GaryPearce10 Level 1

              After some more playing, I discovered that the other sequences in this project do still export using AME. So I made a new sequence, copied all the media from the problem sequence into the new one, and it exports OK.  I lose fairly extensive Encore chapter marking, but that's a minor problem. No way to "cut and paste" chapter markers, I don't suppose?

               

              For curiosity value, if I make a duplicate of the problem sequence, all the media in the duplicate sequence has a red bar (unrendered) except for the parts that have already been rendered, which have a green bar. This is straight transferred DVCam media and shouldn't need rendering.  If I add some new video to the sequence, it gets a red bar too. Bizarre. Oh, and it won't export.

               

              I tried a few other tricks with the original problem sequence: delete all media, and replace with one new short clip; delete the chapter markers; shorten the work area bar to just a few seconds and try to export "work area only"; turn off tracks; deselect either audio or video in AME... nothing worked to make this sequence export.

               

              I also tried making a whole new project, and importing this one into it. Nothing changes - the problem sequence still wont' export, a copy of it leaves all media "unrendered..." exact same trouble as the original project. But it was while playing with this new project that I discovered that my other sequences did export, leading me back to the original project. That should have been the first or second thing I checked. Brain-dead Sunday.

               

              Conclusion: something corrupt in the sequence, but darned if I can figure out what. Not the media. Not the chapter markers. There's code in the sequence itself, and I guess that must be it.

               

              Enough time wated on this project. Thanks, all!

               

              Gary

              • 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
                the_wine_snob Level 9

                Gary,

                 

                Glad that you got the Export.

                 

                I have one question:

                 

                There's code in the sequence itself, and I guess that must be it.

                 

                What exactly do you mean by this statement? This is more out of curiosity on my part.

                 

                Good luck,

                 

                Hunt

                • 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
                  GaryPearce10 Level 1

                  Hi, Hunt

                   

                  Just that the sequence is more than the collection of media - it's a set of

                  instructions on what to do with the media. So while I could delete the

                  media, and delete the markers, whatever was corrupt about that sequence

                  remained and messed up anything else I put in that sequence.

                   

                  Gary

                  • 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder stopped working in this project, works in others
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

                    Got you. I was thinking that you had added code to the Timeline/Sequence. The Project files are XML, which is a text-based coding. Now I understand.

                     

                    Thanks,

                     

                    Hunt