0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 3:44 PM by whatsup31415

Save as Text does not work.  Workarounds?

whatsup31415

Save as Text does not yield consistent results.  Is the problem due to the PDF content, or is it a Save as Text defect?  If the PDF content, is the root cause due to a user error when the PDF was constructed?  More importantly, is there any workaround?

(I need a text file in order to read the data with a VBA routine.)

The PDF is attached, as well as the Save as Text file.

Viewed using Adobe Reader 9.1.2, the tabular data looks consistent.  But when I Save as Text and view with the Notepad (MS Win XP SP2), the data is inconsistent.

With 9.1.2, I see at least 3 different forms (by example):  (a) Bib: 349; (b) Bib: 299; (c) the data on page 10.  Form C is impractical to parse.

Form A is the following for each team, each on a separate line:  catRank teamName Bib: bibNum allRank time; firstName1; lastName1; firstName2; lastName2; sex1; sex2; age1 city1; age2 city2; state1; state2.

Form B is the following for each team, each on a separate line:  catRank teamName Bib: bibNum allRank time; firstName1 lastName1 sex1 age1 address1; firstName2 lastName2 sex2 age2 address2.

Form C is the following, each representing multiple groups of lines for all teams on the page:  (1) 3 lines with teamName catRank, lastName1 firstName1, lastName2 firstName2;  (2) 2 lines with age1 sex1 address1, age2 sex2 address2; (3) 1 line with Bib: bibNum; (4) 1 line with time allRank.  In other words, group 1 is repeated for all teams, followed by group 2 for all teams, etc.  And pieces of the page header appear before group 2 and group 4 as well as group 1.