8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 6:36 PM by Eric Addison

The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite

tmsatterfeld Level 1

Greetings, I am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or heard any rumors about he timeline of the next "point" release? I currently have the PS3 Production Suite, which has been on a recently downed computer. As I am preparing my new PC and getting ready7 to reload 3.0,  I am considering the upgrade from version 3 to 4.0 now up to 4.1 as I understand it now. So my question is one of opinion:

1. Is the upgrade from version 3.0 suite to the 4.0 suite a definite worhtwhile upgrade when considering the product as a whole?

2. I have also been in a position of upgrading to one version only to have the next version pop up within a few months, I am wondering since 4.0 has been out long enough if I should not wait for the next upgrade if that is going to be within six months- Anyone have an opinion?

Obviously, these two questions are strictly opinion related, I would be grateful for some/ant insight in about these two (or more questions) form some of the many experienced users here. I work mainly in HDV, now have some AVCD clips to and find them to be quite a pain to edit smoothly  ( I7 920 - 12GB DD3 8500 (1066)- I have thought about trying the "Neo" product from Cineform to convert to intermediate workfiles and then re-code.

Any comments, help is appreciated-I am not an expert, just a hobby-you know like whn all of the familes video work falls to you .

Thank you, TMS

• 1. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
          Eric Addison User Group Manager

No one can say for sure when the next version will be released, but seeing that CS4 was released last October, you should be safe in buying it now. Adobe usually has a 12-18 month release cycle, so it should be some time before CS5 is released...I would guess it would come out in time for NAB(April) 2010, but that's just a guess!

• 2. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
            Powered by Design Level 4

I have yet to get an Core i7 yet but from what I have read here and elsewhere you can overclock that processor to give you more speed to a little over 3GHz

Im still on a Pentium Single core and HDV gives me a pain in CS4

It was better in CS3

I do like the feel of CS4 better and they are getting better with the suite.

The 4.1 update did make HDV play much better.

Your Core i7 should handle it much better than my system.

From what I have read the Free 30 day trial does NOT support HDV so I guess that is out but maybe you could try it first with the other formats to see if you like it better.

In my opinion CS5 is quite a ways out.

CS4 feels like it just got here.

Of course they could keep updating it to make it better.

For me I always like having the newest version but when things dont work right it sure makes it a pain.

I couldn't even play HDV without any lag until version 4.1 and even now my system is way to slow to play it in real-time.

I have to play it in DRAFT QUALITY just to play HDV.

Now SD plays perfect.

I down-convert inside my camera to SD and only shoot in HDV for furture proofing for when I do swith to HD.

Read up on Overclocking that i7 920.

Harm has some good specs on his i7 with great results.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 4. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
              Jim_Simon Level 8

1. Yes, definitely.

2. You take your chances, as we all do.

• 5. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering that 4.1 was recently released, and seems to be doing pretty well, it might be a bit longer between full-version # releases.

Or, it might not.

Anyone who knows, cannot tell. Anyone who tells is just guessing.

Also, Adobe is pretty good at offering a good upgrade price, should one purchase within X-days of the release. Do not know if this affects upgrades, as I usually do those fairly soon in the release schedule, though have waited for 4.1, before making the plunge.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
                  LLavelle Level 1

CS3 was released 4th quarter 2007.

CS4 was released 4th quarter 2008.

Not unreasonable to think CS5 would be released 4th quarter 2009.

• 7. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You could be correct. One thing that caught my attention was in the recent Adobe survey. Some questions were on "what would you think of a 64-bit OS version only?" If Adobe does take this path, then it might be a bit more of a rewrite for the code.

Hunt

• 8. Re: The Next Version 4.5 or 5.0 Suite
                      Eric Addison User Group Manager

LLavelle wrote:

CS3 was released 4th quarter 2007.

CS4 was released 4th quarter 2008.

Not unreasonable to think CS5 would be released 4th quarter 2009.

CS3 was announced in March of 2007, but released in July of 2007. If I had to guess, we'll see another couple updates, and CS5 just before NAB...I wouldn't expect CS5 this year...but then again, who knows. Adobe could surprise everyone.