8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 1:56 PM by mattmexico

RAW doesn't work

St Jacques

I'm dutch, so my english isn't very good. This is my problem. I work with Vista and Photoshop CS3. I download camera raw 4.6, extract the ZIPfile and put the plug-in in the following map: C/program files/Common Files/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats. Before that I remove the existing RAWfile. In Adobe Bridge I can see my pictures with DNG files and NEF files. But when I clicked with the right mouse button I read: PhotoShop(default). When I do the same in explorer (right mouse click on the file and choose for Photoshop) than Photoshop is running but the message is: unable to use the CamereRaw plug-in It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop. I also try Camera Raw version 4.3 and 5.1 But the problem is stil there. I always update Adobe CS3. Is there anybody who can help me.

Jack

• 1. Re: RAW doesn't work
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

St Jacques wrote:

…put the plug-in in the following map: C/program files/Common Files/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats.

Did you forget part of the path when you typed this post?  That is not quite the correct directory.

Manual installation on Windows:

1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge.
          2. Open the download file, double-click CameraProfiles.exe, and follow the on-screen instructions.
          3. Open My Computer.
          4. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
          5. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Make sure you have the correct directory and that you have downloaded the correct verson, Camera Raw 4.6 for Windows.

EDIT:  I know you meant "folder" when you wrote map.  (Ik kan de nederlandse taal goed begrijpen.  )

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

• 2. Re: RAW doesn't work
            Bill_Janes Level 2

St Jacques wrote:

I'm dutch, so my english isn't very good. This is my problem. I work with Vista and Photoshop CS3. I download camera raw 4.6, extract the ZIPfile and put the plug-in in the following map: C/program files/Common Files/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats.

Camera Raw 4.6 is the latest version that will work with CS3. See the Camera Raw 4.6 readme for installation instructions.

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_4.6_ReadMe.pdf

The correct path is:

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\

• 3. Re: RAW doesn't work
              St Jacques Level 1

Thank you for this fast reaction on my question! But I do the right path, I forgot in my question Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats but I do it right, so that is not the reason that it don't work and the site.

Jack

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 05:54:19 -0600

To: jbalhan@hotmail.com

Subject: RAW doesn't work

• 4. Re: RAW doesn't work
                St Jacques Level 1

I make a mistake in my message, not in what I did on my labtop. So it doesn't work as I write. And map is dutch word for folder, your dutch is much better than my english!

Jack

• 5. Re: RAW doesn't work
                  mattmexico

hi there

Sorry to come in here but I havea similar problem with CS2. Is the way to fix it the same as with CS3 ?

greetings

Matt

• 6. Re: RAW doesn't work
                    JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

St. Jacques,

You mentioned that you tried Camera Raw 5.1.  That version won't work with Photoshop CS3, it will only work with CS4.  The last version that will work with your version of Photoshop is Camera Raw 4.6.  There will be no additional updates that will be compatible with what you have.

What did you actually do with the old version of Camera Raw?  It must be completely removed from the Adobe folder structure.  It cannot be saved in a subfolder.  The best thing you can do is delete the old version.  If you ever find that you need it for some reason, it is readily available for download from Adobe.

• 7. Re: RAW doesn't work
                      JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

mattmexico wrote:

hi there

Sorry to come in here but I havea similar problem with CS2. Is the way to fix it the same as with CS3 ?

greetings

Matt

The last version of Camera Raw that is compatible with Photoshop CS2 is Camera Raw 3.7.  There will be no additional updates.  It is available from the Adobe download site, and complete instructions are included.  Make sure that you follow the instructions precisely, including the folder where the plug-in is to be installed.

• 8. Re: RAW doesn't work
                        mattmexico Level 1

Hello Jim

Thank you very much, will check it out shortly

Greeting

Matt