11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 6:55 AM by Eric Camper

Lightning to follow text

Eric Camper

I have a little party I throw every year called Campfest.  I would like to do a little teaser video for the party as it involves a Liquor Ice Luge, Beerpong and etc.    ANYWAYS...  at a point in my movie, as the cliumas builds and explodes...  I want lightning to spell out CAMPFEST.  I understand this may be a timeline thing, but if anyone has ever done SOMETHING like this, any help is appreciated.  I was thinking lightning could Strike the "C" and then a "fuse" of sorts could spell the rest out.  My knowledge of AE is probably a little between novice and medium, but I am a long time Premiere and PS user...  Thanx for your help in advance.

Eric

• 1. Re: Lightning to follow text
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd add lightning to a black with the blend mode set to screen placed above your text layer. You can then draw a path on this layer for the end point of the lightning to follow. You then select the path in the timeline, copy the path, and then select the end point for the lightning and paste. The easiest way to make sure that you've properly selected the path is just to set a single keyframe for the path and then copy.

To reveal the letters I'd add a stroke to a path drawn over the text layer. This could be the same path for the end of point of your lighting. You use this stroke to reveal the text by selecting reveal the layer in the stroke controls.

You then can use a bunch of techniques to generate sparks. CC Particle world is probably easiest. You attach the sparks in the same way you attached the lightning strike.

I hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightning to follow text
            Eric Camper Level 1

Awesome...I wont have a chance to try it until lunch, but I will try it out and reply back...Thanx a bunch

Camper

• 3. Re: Lightning to follow text
              Eric Camper Level 1

Oh...one more thing...  Do I have to draw the path, or can I have the PATH follow my text, so I dont have to draw it.  Like can I use a text layer in AE for the follow thing.  Thanx

• 4. Re: Lightning to follow text
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can use the Layer - Convert Text to Outlines function to do that. Be aware, though, that it will actually create multiple unconnected paths, which isn't waht you want to use, so drawing it manually may be a better idea. May even look better, as following a contour all too precisely will take longer and may not look snappy at all...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Lightning to follow text
                  Eric Camper Level 1

Can I use the same path that I drew for the lightning to follow and if not, how accurate does the path need to be.  I am using the font Nightmare Hero.

Thanx

Camper

• 6. Re: Lightning to follow text
                    Eric Camper Level 1

One more question...  When I use the Particle World.  There is no end point to the particle world...  Where do I paste that path info?

Thanx a bunch

• 7. Re: Lightning to follow text
                      Eric Camper Level 1

Also...Can I get ADVANCDED LIghtning to do this as well...

• 8. Re: Lightning to follow text

Particle World use an emitter, so you paste the info into the emitter position. However, PW uses percentages for placing the emitter relative to the current comp and its center, so you will have to add an expression as well:

X=linear(value[0],0,thisComp.width,-1,1);

Y=linear(value[1],0,thisComp.height,-1,1);

[X,Y]

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Lightning to follow text

Eric Camper wrote:

Can I use the same path that I drew for the lightning to follow and if not,...

You've lost me, but I'm assuming you are referring to teh particles for the sparks. See my other answer. You will however in that case want to be a bit more precise. Sparks only appear, when a lightning hits something and melts/ burns/ impacts its surface.

Mylenium

• 10. Re: Lightning to follow text

Eric Camper wrote:

Also...Can I get ADVANCDED LIghtning to do this as well...

Yes and no. The trick will be to use a duplicate of the text as an Alpha Obstacle to cut it off. The end point will never be exact, though, and needs to be animated manually to get correct intersections. Generally you should take your time. There are no simple solutions if you want effects to look good.

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Lightning to follow text
                              Eric Camper Level 1

Yeah..  I could not get that to work, but I wasnt using the alpha thing.  I finally viewed it several times and realized that most of the people viewing this...ONE...  wouldnt even notice it...LOL...SO I just told the lightning to start at the left and end on the right....Simple...  This has been a great learning experience...  I am going to go through and learn that ICE thing in AE, but for now, the Alien Skin filter reallt did the trick...  I am playing with the snow now...  Check out my other post for my question if you could.  Thanx all for your help