13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 4:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?

60251977 Level 1
      Hi all

I've been designing a web on Frontpage 2002, but that program, although OKAY, is pretty lame. Is it at all possible to use the html from my Frontpage site, paste it into Dreamweaver (at which I am also a novice) and do fancy stuff with it using CSS? Are there any tutorials for this sort of thing?
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
          Level 7
          Before doing anything else, take a couple of weeks to gothrough the DW
          tutorials, and also to study HTML and CSS. The more you know about those,
          the easier your transition will be. DW expects alot more from you than FP
          did, and as a result, you may find it much more frustrating to have the raw
          reality of web development staring you in the face rather than the wizards
          of FP.

> Is there a way to convert a Frontpage site into a
          > Dreamweaver site

1. I'd define a Dreamweaver site that points to a location on your hard
          drive for the local site's root, and to the current FP site on the web as
          the remote site
          2. I'd use Dreamweaver (if your host supports FTP connections) to download
          the remote site to the root of the site you just defined on the hard drive.
          This will pick up all the pages *after* webbot action so that shared borders
          and all are already present in the page HTML. This will also pick up all of
          the server scripting. Note - in the event that you are not able to connect
          using FTP since some FP hosts block that protocol, you will have to use a
          third party 'site copier' like Black Widow, QuadSucker, or WebCopier, (or
          even the DW extension called SiteAssist from WebAssist) to connect and
          download using http protocols. Doing it this way will *not* retrieve any of
          your server-script code, if any (unless you have used the WebAssist
          extension).

3. I'd create a DW template for the pages, that captures the "shared
          border"
          effect you had in FP.
          4. I'd copy and paste content from each FP pages to a new template child
          page and then save the new child page with an easily identifiable
          nomenclature that is distinct from what was used on the FP site (since you
          are saving the new child pages into the same local site as the FP pages).
          5. When the basic site is completed, I'd upload the new DW pages to some
          staging area/webspace, and by using the browser, I'd verify that the site
          (as it now exists remotely) is complete.
          6. Then I'd create a *new* DW site in a new location on the hard drive, and
          connect to and download all the files from the staging site.
          7. You can now delete the original FP site from your local system if you
          want.

You now have a complete site (minus any of the FP extension server-side
          code) that has no FP footprint.

If you have used any FP server extension functions on the original FP site
          (form processing, guestbooks, tables of contents, includes, etc.), you will
          have to recreate those functions in DW using 3rd party scripts, or scripts
          that you write yourself.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"60251977" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gbgjf9$hvc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi all
          >
          > I've been designing a web on Frontpage 2002, but that program, although
          > OKAY,
          > is pretty lame. Is it at all possible to use the html from my Frontpage
          > site,
          > paste it into Dreamweaver (at which I am also a novice) and do fancy stuff
          > with
          > it using CSS? Are there any tutorials for this sort of thing?
          > Thanks
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
            60251977 Level 1
            Thanks, Murray, you're s star!
            I'll have to print this off, though, it's a lot to take in.

My Frontpages docs are structured, as if the nature of the beast, using tables. Is it fairly easy to get rid of the tables and use div tags instead? Will this require going into design (or code) view and taking all the text/images within these tables and manually copying them into the div tags I create? Which sounds arduous, but not a problem as I'm quite a patient type!

Cheers
            • 3. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
              Level 7
              Don't fool yourself. The degree to which you will be successful with this
              enterprise will depend directly on your skill level with HTML and CSS. If
              that is minimal, then you will struggle with this conversion. And replacing
              tables with divs would depend entirely on that skill level. There is no
              easy button there, and you could well irreversibly wreck your layout trying.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gbgmdv$lk3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks, Murray, you're s star!
              > I'll have to print this off, though, it's a lot to take in.
              >
              > My Frontpages docs are structured, as if the nature of the beast, using
              > tables. Is it fairly easy to get rid of the tables and use div tags
              > instead?
              > Will this require going into design (or code) view and taking all the
              > text/images within these tables and manually copying them into the div
              > tags I
              > create? Which sounds arduous, but not a problem as I'm quite a patient
              > type!
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                60251977 Level 1
                Thanks, Murray, sounds like good advice.

Is it possible I could simply keep and use the existing tables/layouts I've been using in Frontpage, and paste them into whatever div tag I've defined for, say, main content. I could then apply styles & classes to the text and images I've pasted into Dreamweaver, which would enable me to make any changes I want in the future by simple changing the styles.classes I've created? Does this make sense?
                • 5. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                  Level 7
                  > Does this make sense?

Sorry, no.

You would experience no benefit from doing it this way, and only add
                  unnecessary code to the page.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gbgntj$nhd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks, Murray, sounds like good advice.
                  >
                  > Is it possible I could simply keep and use the existing tables/layouts
                  > I've
                  > been using in Frontpage, and paste them into whatever div tag I've defined
                  > for,
                  > say, main content. I could then apply styles & classes to the text and
                  > images
                  > I've pasted into Dreamweaver, which would enable me to make any changes I
                  > want
                  > in the future by simple changing the styles.classes I've created? Does
                  > this
                  > make sense?
                  >

• 6. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                    60251977 Level 1
                    OK. I'll have to learn html then!
                    Thanks for the advice. (I kinda figured you'd say my table scheme was pointless, and I'm a bit glad you did.)

I've got the general idea of div tags and internal/external style sheets and have mucked around with a fair amount of tutorials, so I'm pretty sure I can get to grips with them.

It would seem my best bet, once I've gotten fully used to the concept of html/css/div tags/style sheets etc, is to just build my DW pages from scratch in Dreamweaver, and paste my text into the pages I create, and build the new site that way. That way I don't have to worry about the way DW interprets the stuff I did in FP, and I can avoid the excessive html codes FP comes up with. I have the text itself in word documents, so that's just a cut and past job. It's not a huge site, and I've got time on my hands.

Is this a bad idea?
                    • 7. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                      Level 7
                      Rebuild the site. Learning how to build with html and CSS-P instead of
                      tables will take some time of course, but you will learn so much about html,
                      CSS and DW that's it's well worth the effort. If you do it right, your end
                      product will be a much improved site without all the FP baggage. Hint: Get
                      yourself a good CSS template or template pack. I highly recommend Project
                      VII's products. http://www.projectseven.com/

my 2 cents

--Nancy O.
                      Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                      www.alt-web.com

news:gbgntj$nhd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks, Murray, sounds like good advice.
                      >
                      > Is it possible I could simply keep and use the existing tables/layouts
                      I've
                      > been using in Frontpage, and paste them into whatever div tag I've defined
                      for,
                      > say, main content. I could then apply styles & classes to the text and
                      images
                      > I've pasted into Dreamweaver, which would enable me to make any changes I
                      want
                      > in the future by simple changing the styles.classes I've created? Does
                      this
                      > make sense?
                      >

• 8. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                        Level 7
                        > Is this a bad idea?

Not only is it not a bad idea, it's exactly the right thing to do.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

news:gbgpq6$pq3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > OK. I'll have to learn html then!
                        > Thanks for the advice. (I kinda figured you'd say my table scheme was
                        > pointless, and I'm a bit glad you did.)
                        >
                        > I've got the general idea of div tags and internal/external style sheets
                        > and
                        > have mucked around with a fair amount of tutorials, so I'm pretty sure I
                        > can
                        > get to grips with them.
                        >
                        > It would seem my best bet, once I've gotten fully used to the concept of
                        > html/css/div tags/style sheets etc, is to just build my DW pages from
                        > scratch
                        > in Dreamweaver, and paste my text into the pages I create, and build the
                        > new
                        > site that way. That way I don't have to worry about the way DW interprets
                        > the
                        > stuff I did in FP, and I can avoid the excessive html codes FP comes up
                        > with. I
                        > have the text itself in word documents, so that's just a cut and past job.
                        > It's
                        > not a huge site, and I've got time on my hands.
                        >
                        > Is this a bad idea?
                        >

• 10. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                          Level 7
                          Good luck. Keep us posted with your progress.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:gbgud3$239$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Will do!
                          >

• 11. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                            Graham K
                            I'm about to start the same exercise for 3 sites built using FP2003. These use templates (rather than FP2002's Shared Borders) and CSS.

I'm completely new to DW and have been reading through "Dreamweaver CS3 - The Missing Manual" by David Sawyer McFarland - this seems to me an extremely good introduction to DW and includes tutorials that can be downloaded from the book publisher's web site.

The book claims that DW will open web pages and web sites that were created in other programs - I'll try this approach as a starting point with the smallest site and see what I get!

There's also a lot of useful teaching stuff on the Adobe web site - videos and AdobeTV.
                            • 12. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                              Level 7
                              > The book claims that DW will open web pages and web sites that were
                              > created in
                              > other programs

DW does not use proprietary code to write websites - just plain old HTML.

Any website will open in DW or even Notepad.

It's not like trying to open a WordPerfect file in MS Word.

--
                              Regards

John Waller

• 13. Re: Can I turn Frontpage webs into Dreamweaver ones?
                                Level 7
                                >>I highly recommend Project
                                >>VII's products. http://www.projectseven.com/

Ditto, of course, especially 42nd Street given the OP's situation.
                                --

Walt

"Nancy O" <nancyoshea1@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
                                news:gbgq21$q1u$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Rebuild the site. Learning how to build with html and CSS-P instead of
                                > tables will take some time of course, but you will learn so much about
                                > html,
                                > CSS and DW that's it's well worth the effort. If you do it right, your
                                > end
                                > product will be a much improved site without all the FP baggage. Hint:
                                > Get
                                > yourself a good CSS template or template pack. I highly recommend Project
                                > VII's products. http://www.projectseven.com/
                                >
                                >
                                > my 2 cents
                                >
                                > --Nancy O.
                                > Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                                > www.alt-web.com
                                >
                                >
                                > "60251977" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                > news:gbgntj$nhd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> Thanks, Murray, sounds like good advice.
                                >>
                                >> Is it possible I could simply keep and use the existing tables/layouts
                                > I've
                                >> been using in Frontpage, and paste them into whatever div tag I've
                                >> defined
                                > for,
                                >> say, main content. I could then apply styles & classes to the text and
                                > images
                                >> I've pasted into Dreamweaver, which would enable me to make any changes I
                                > want
                                >> in the future by simple changing the styles.classes I've created? Does
                                > this
                                >> make sense?
                                >>
                                >
                                >