7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 5:01 AM by 372cpw

Lightroom to Camera Raw

372cpw

I want to edit my Lightroom images in Camera Raw not Photoshop. How do I do this? I am particularly interested in using the adjustment brush in Camera Raw 5.3. Right now I have to export my Lightroom images to my desktop, then open them in Bridge so I can get to the new Camera Raw. This seems like an extra workflow step. Then I move the images back to Lightroom. There has to be a better way.

• 1. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
          JimHess-hP0R75

All of the editing that you do in Lightroom is virtually the same as what you would do in ACR.  The Lightroom editing engine and the ACR editing engine share the same code.  Everything that you do in Lightroom is virtually the same as what you do in ACR.

The workflow I use is to do as much as I can in Lightroom.  Occasionally I find it necessary additional editing in Photoshop.  But there is really no reason to go from Lightroom to ACR because I have already made those changes.  What is it that you feel that you need to do?

• 2. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
            372cpw Level 1

Thanks for the response. I would like to use the adjustment brush in 

ACR 5.3.

beverlylogan@me.com

• 3. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
              JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

I suppose someone will have to give you a more precise answer because I still use Photoshop CS3.  Lightroom 2.3 has the adjustment brush, but I don't know how different it is from the adjustment brush in ACR 5.3.  I find the adjustment brush quite useful in many situations.

• 4. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
                372cpw Level 1

Thanks. I've never used the adjustment brush in L. Maybe I didn't need 

to upgrade!!

beverlylogan@me.com

• 5. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
                  JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

Only you can decide whether or not you need to upgrade.  But for what I do, I get along quite well with Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom.  But then I have an older camera, and I have been Lightroom long enough that I am quite comfortable with the workflow.

• 6. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I keep LR and ACR in sync as far as versions.  ACR 4.x = LR 1.x, ACR 5.x = LR 2.x.

I would never go to ACR, first, and then back to LR.  The "better way" is to start with LR to do all your adjustments and then use Edit In Photoshop if you need to do anything further.

If PS and ACR are in sync with LR, then LR will pass its "recipe" to PS and PS will use ACR to open the RAW file, directly, without the overhead of an intermediate file.

If PS and ACR are behind LR enough, then LR will render the file to a PSD or TIF and pass that intermediate file to PS for further editing.

If PS and ACR or behind LR just a little--not enough that the adjustments are generally the same, you may get a warning, and LR will still pass the recipe to PS and PS will call on ACR to open it, even if there are a few settings that may not get translated...at least this is how a former beta used to work.  I'm not sure if this is how things will always be if you are just a little behind or not.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lightroom to Camera Raw
                      372cpw Level 1

Do you find the adjustment brush in ACR 5.3 the same as Lightroom 2.3?