14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 5:57 PM by johnnewmannsw

Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?

kellyjaye1 Level 1

I have a newsletter that someone else created and Im having a problem converting to a PDF, I think its conflicting with a font thats being used somewhere.  Does PM have something like ID does where it will list all the fonts your document is using and lets you also swap them out for other fonts if desired?

• 1. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
          BigJohnD Level 3

a) "Save for Service Provider" is good way to error check your PM publication.

b) In Edit mode, you can find and replace fonts.

c) Stick with InDesign

Iechyd da! John
          18:14 22/06/2009 BST

• 2. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
            kellyjaye1 Level 1

BigJohnD wrote:

a) "Save for Service Provider" is good way to error check your PM publication.

b) In Edit mode, you can find and replace fonts.

c) Stick with InDesign

Iechyd da! John
            18:14 22/06/2009 BST

You dont have to tell me about sticking with InDesign.  Part of being customer friendly is to work with whatever files they provide us with and unforutnately MANY still use Pagemaker....its so painful!

Where is "save for service provider" that you mentioned in Pagemaker?  And I dont know what you mean about edit mode, isnt it always in edit mode?

• 3. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
              Level 4

You can't find and replace a font in a PDF. part of the problem is the PDF placed in PM may be too new.

Save for service provider is in the save dialog box. again this will not help you as fonts are embedded in the PDF and will not show up in save for service provider.

• 4. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                kellyjaye1 Level 1

Buko. wrote:

You can't find and replace a font in a PDF. part of the problem is the PDF placed in PM may be too new.

Save for service provider is in the save dialog box. again this will not help you as fonts are embedded in the PDF and will not show up in save for service provider.

i think everyone is getting confused.  Im just trying to create a PDF from a Pagemaker file, not alter a PDF ive already created.  Whenever Pagemaker gives me problems converting to a PDF, it always seems to have something to do with a font.  Generally I can narrow things down to the page with the problem and go from there but this time its almost every page.  It seems like its the version of Times Roman they are using.  To go page by page would take forever (lots of pages!) and I just want to change all the Times thats used to another version of Times but im hoping for an instant way like what can be done with Find Font in Indesign.

• 5. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                  BigJohnD Level 3

kellyjaye1 wrote:

You dont have to tell me about sticking with InDesign.  Part of being customer friendly is to work with whatever files they provide us with and unforutnately MANY still use Pagemaker....its so painful!

Where is "save for service provider" that you mentioned in Pagemaker?  And I dont know what you mean about edit mode, isnt it always in edit mode?

Save for service provider:  Utilities -> Plug-ins -> Save for Service Provider

PM is in Layout Mode by default.  Either select the text block with the master tool or put the Text I-bar  into the text of a text block and hit Ctrl+E for Edit mode.

Iechyd da! John
                  20:10 22/06/2009 BST

• 6. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                    kellyjaye1 Level 1

BigJohnD wrote:

kellyjaye1 wrote:

PM is in Layout Mode by default.  Either select the text block with the master tool or put the Text I-bar  into the text of a text block and hit Ctrl+E for Edit mode.

Iechyd da! John
                    20:10 22/06/2009 BST

I see the Service Provider option, dont really understand what its all about being it says this docment is ok for making a PS (which will not distill this way or not)  but says its not ok for the PUB option.  I did see where it says the fonts that are used though and the pages they are used on but do not see a way to swap all of a font to another font

• 7. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                      Level 4

BigJohnD wrote:

Doh! that's one function I never used much as I always gave PDFs to the printer.

As far as finding the bad page here is a neat trick to speed things up.

PDF half the pages. Which half has the problem?

now PDF half of the problem half. Which half has the problem?

keep doing that til you find the problem Page.

• 8. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                        kellyjaye1 Level 1

Buko. wrote:

BigJohnD wrote:

Doh! that's one function I never used much as I always gave PDFs to the printer.

As far as finding the bad page here is a neat trick to speed things up.

PDF half the pages. Which half has the problem?

now PDF half of the problem half. Which half has the problem?

keep doing that til you find the problem Page.

you know, thats exactly what I do normally.  Im just getting it on almost every page now which has never happened before with these people!   I really wish people would stop using Pagemaker  :-(

• 9. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                          BigJohnD Level 3

kellyjaye1 wrote:

I see the Service Provider option, dont really understand what its all about being it says this docment is ok for making a PS (which will not distill this way or not)  but says its not ok for the PUB option.  I did see where it says the fonts that are used though and the pages they are used on but do not see a way to swap all of a font to another font

You asked what would list all the fonts used.  S4SP does that. Click Pre-flight Publication, then "Fonts".  It uses the PS driver which is required for creating PDFs.

You asked how to change a font  - Find and Replace in Edit mode does that, right through the publication.(I suppose if the style palette has been used thoughout, you could edit the style specs.)

Iechyd da! John
                          21:07 22/06/2009 BST

• 10. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                            Level 4

As a test open the file in ID and see if you can export a PDF it could help you in trouble shooting of at least get you a PDF for this job if there is a time crunch.

• 11. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                              johnnewmannsw

Hi there,

I'm trying to solve the same issue as the man who started this thread: I'd like to replace a font throughout a Pagemaker document.

I'm using PM6.5, and I can't find "edit mode" or "find and replace". Is there another method?

John

• 12. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                                Jay Chevako Level 3

From my increasingly vague recollection of pagemaker, find and replace is ctrl/F (Cmd/F on a mac) or edit/find on the menu. I think that pagemaker would open up a font matching dialog box (Panose?) if you opened a document and didn't have the fonts installed.
                                Jay

• 13. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                                  BigJohnD Level 3

johnnewmannsw wrote:

I can't find "edit mode" or "find and replace". Is there another method?

Place the text tool bar in the text block. Click Edit -> Edit Layout. (Or Ctrl+E in Windows) You are now in Edit mode.

It's Edit -> Edit Layout to return to Layout Mode.

Click Utilities -> Change. From here you can change just about anything.

Iechyd da! John.

14:13 11/02/2014

• 14. Re: Does PM have a "Find Font" tool like ID does?
                                    johnnewmannsw Level 1

Thanks!

I fixed it by pressing Ctrl+E for "Edit mode" as you suggested, then Ctrl+H for "Find and replace" then set the character attricutes. Perfect!