6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 1:59 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Rendering multiple frames - does not always work

scharky79

I'm trying to figure out the magic formula that lets me render out multiple frames at once.

System specs

Intel core i7

12GB Ram

Vista 64

project specs

RED native R3D footage

Rendering composition = 1080P 24

rendering to Anything (Quicktime and AVI)

Here is what is happening

I set up my preferences to allow multi processor rendering

I'll start the project rendering and then after a couple frames of normal rendering frame by frame all 8 cores go up to 100% and starts to render 4 frames at once. GREAT. This goes on anywhere from 1 min to 15 min or it renders the entire project this way, but more often then not it sotps rendering multiple frames and goes back to rendering 1 at a time, only maxing out one core and using a small percentage of the rest.  I can render out the same project multiple times and it will stop multi core rendering in different places. Sometimes it wont start at all.

So again, my question is, what are the magical mystical settings that need to be changed here. After effects seems very finicky about rendering to multiple frames, but when it does it's great. When it doesn't I ask myself, why have I spent all this money on this great new system?

• 1. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Set your MP rendering to only use a portion of the CPUs and increase the per-CPU memory. You are simply running out of memmory and the BG instances shut down.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
            yenaphe Level 4

I would try to reduce the number of core at first. 2GB per core is the bare minimum for them to be usable. Use 4 cores 2.5 leaving 1Gb for other apps should be fine.

Also if you are using 8 cores it is possible that, because you are rendering to a single AVI/QT file, the file waits for the next frame to be rendered because not all file format allows frame to be written in a non sequential form (this is because some codecs needs to know the actual frame after them to do some math), so it slows down the whole process. Try rendering as sequence file (don't forget to check "ignore rendered files" in the output settings).

And last but not least, it's also possible that your bottleneck is your HDD. If you have 8 cores using the same file, it means that you have 8 simultaneous access on the samefile, and maybe this starves your HDD, so as it takes longer to get the data, AE shuts down some cores.

Tell me if any of this have been usefull for you.

Hope that helps,

• 3. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

RED footage can require a lot of memory, depending on the resolution.

If you go to Preferences > Memory and Multiprocessing and leave 1 or 2 CPUs free for other applications (so that the other cores can take more memory), do the rendering instances keep rendering to the end?

• 4. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
                scharky79 Level 1

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm trying different settings now with leaving some cores open and different amounts of RAM per core. I'll let you know what happens.

Also, yes, the instances do finish even if they go back to one core.

Another quick question, when changing mem settings, do you need to restart after effects each time for them to be applied. I have tried some different settings, and so far all the same results.

Right now my workaround is to render to DPX. when the processors drop to one, I stop the render and then restat it from where I left off.  Works good except you have to baby sit it.

• 5. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
                  scharky79 Level 1

Well that seemed to do it. Thanks for the feedback. I saved one core for other applications and set the other 3 at 2.8GB and got a flawless multi core render all the way through.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

• 6. Re: Rendering multiple frames - does not always work
                    Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Scharky:

The fact that MP doesn't shut down when you leave one core free suggests that in your particular case, more RAM would help (if you really wanted to use all cores, I mean).

Usually, 2 GB per core is fine. But if you're using large source files or Comps, more would definitely help.

If you had an extra 4 GB, then you'd have 4 GB per core plus 4 GB for the main application and everything else.

Of course, you can keep using it with 3 cores to render multiple frames, which should still give you good performance.