6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 3:02 PM by Harm Millaard

HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...

wishstarmedia

Hello-

Been a Premiere user for 11 years and am finally just asking help on this issue I have.

I recently read that the Canon XL2, while can shoot 16:9 and in 24p and 30p, doesn't ACTUALLY shoot in progressive.  The big irritation in this is that whenever I have processed my files they always came out strange in that when I went progressive the picture wouldn't look great, but in lower field first it processed fine.  BUT by doing this, it also made my graphics bad because on a computer monitor you can see interlaced lines, so I either am stuck with progressive processing with great graphics and bad video, or great video with interlaced graphics.  UGH!

I noticed recently though that I can take my original 30p footage on the timeline, apply the flicker removal to my field options, and then be able to process progressive with no problem and the video apears like the original on the monitor along with full frame graphic titles.  Certainly there must be a better process for this?  I can't keep individually selecting each shot and applying the flicker removal tool.

I've messed with interpreting footage, but get mixed results.  Often Premiere shows the original footage just fine and I doubt there's anything wrong with the initial setting because they match how the footage was captured natively.  It's a horrible mess and was wondering if anyone can clear the air on just how the best way to process progressive 24p/30p (NOT) Canon XL2 footage can be processed without these time-consuming field issue garbage problems.  I would love to output my footage all progressive and the only way to achieve this well is to do that field options>flicker removal tool whether going to DVD or web.

Seriously annoying that for a long time I've been pulling my hair out wondering why my 30p footage doesn't process well in progressive without making these adjustments.

Thanks,
      Ryan

P.S.  my preview monitor on rendered footage looks junky too when I process at full quality.  I have a GTX 250 and it renders great, just doesn't display to my output screen very well and looks more DRAFT mode-ish.  Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep in mind that the XL2 records everything in a 50/60i wrapper. It does not adjust tape speed, there is only one speed at which it records, either 50i or 60i, so your sequence settings must reflect that.

• 2. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
            wishstarmedia Level 1

It just seems a little falsely stated on the gear though if it's able to produce that content, yet it natively is still captured 29.97.  Am I incorrect in that statement?

BTW... I forgot to mention I have upgraded to CS4 in case anyone needs that info.

Would I need to make a special preset for my canon XL2?

• 3. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
              Harm Millaard Level 7

No, just use the standard NTSC 60i version and after capture, use the drop down setting. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I have a mental barrier when it goes about intentionally reducing frame rate only to create stutters, under the motto that it creates a film look, which IMO is utter BS. Film is 48i or higher.

The marketing hype is something we should constantly be aware of. The big stickers on the side of a camera, stating 800x digital zoom or similar should be enough reason NEVER to buy that camera. EIS is another reason to not buy a camera, Once manufacturers learn that these misleading claims only put people off, they might learn, but that requires consumers to know what they really need or want, and two things are obvious IMO, they don't want digital zoom and they don't want EIS. They want OIS, an accessory shoe, mic in and headphone out.

• 4. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I have a mental barrier when it goes about intentionally reducing frame rate only to create stutters, under the motto that it creates a film look, which IMO is utter BS.

You need to see some of the work I'm doing with dv2Film.  It's not perfect, but it is damn good, and very film like.

Film is 48i or higher.

Film is shot at 24 frames per second, and often shown theatrically at 48 fps (each frame shown twice).  Though film doesn't really get an i or p designation, p would be the more appropriate if one were to use one.

• 5. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

You need to see some of the work I'm doing with dv2Film.  It's not perfect, but it is damn good, and very film like.

Does that require me to get rid of my 100 Hz or 200 Hz screen and exchange it for a 24 Hz screen? What model and brand do you recommend?

Film shot at 24 FPS is shown as 48 half frames, whether that is called i or half p is not really relevant, but that is effectively what the rotating mirror does, doubling the frame rate, otherwise everyone would think we were still in the Chapman B&W era.

BTW, thanks for the invitation to see your results. When will you send me the ticket?

• 6. Re: HELP please...  Canon XL2 fields, progressive, flicker removal issues...
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Does that require me to get rid of my 100 Hz or 200 Hz screen and exchange it for a 24 Hz screen?

No.  This stuff looks equally good on CRT, Plasma or LCD.  (Though I do recommend leaving off such things as 100 Hz modes, as they have a tendency to produce the opposite effect, making film look more like video.)

Film shot at 24 FPS is shown as 48 half frames,

Where on earth did you get that idea?  Film is always shown theatrically as whole frames, whether 24 or 48 fps.

When will you send me the ticket?

Opening day for my first fiction project will be in my cousin's basement home theater, on a 9 foot screen with overhead projection.  I'll let you know when the release date approaches.  Better get your ticket early, though.  I'm expecting a line all the way around the shed, stretching clear to the garbage cans.