4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 1:18 PM by FattyLumpkinz

Best Options for Raw Video in Onlocation CS4? ...and Stuff.

FattyLumpkinz

Hi...I am running out of time for this project because I cannot get the JVC GY-110 camera to match the settings in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. In other words, I can’t get my footage off the DV Tape! However, the “workaround” I found is to use Adobe OnLocation CS4. I easily got OnLocation to record live video. It’s glorious. It is recording in .AVI and I am wondering how to get this to record in MPEG2? I read that it can do that but cannot figure out how. I want to do this, 1) to edit in Premier Pro CS4 and 2) for the local TV station that wants it in that format. Can anyone please provide some insights here? Is MPEG format even what I should be doing or is .AVI ok?

The project is going to be used online and on a local TV station so the plan is to use Adobe Media Encoder CS4 to create formats for each.

Finally, to create overlays (I guess that is what you would call them) such as photographs, news info bars in the lower 3rd portion of the screen (etc) do you suggest I use Premiere Pro or Encore CS4?

In summary, my questions are:

1) Should I be using .AVI or .MPEG formats in OnLocation?

2) How do you get OnLocation CS4 to record in MPEG?

3) Is Encoder CS4 the best way to export video for multiple formats? If so, what is the best starting format?

4) What is the best way to create overlays like news bars?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

~A Desperate Nooby

• 1. Re: Best Options for Raw Video in Onlocation CS4? ...and Stuff.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If OL is recording in AVI, my guess is that you are recording DV, the same as on your tape. By far the easiest format to edit. Edit away and at the end export to MPEG2-DVD or DL (dynamic link) to Encore. For your lower thirds titles, I would use PR, not Encore, because you always want them in the picture, not only when subtitles are turned on.

MPEG in OL is only sensible if you shoot HDV. Look in the manual of OL or consult the help file to see how that is done.

• 2. Re: Best Options for Raw Video in Onlocation CS4? ...and Stuff.
            FattyLumpkinz Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thank you so much for the speedy response. You definitely clarified a lot for me. Right now I could absolutely use such responses.

Please allow me to ask 3 more questions...

1. Initially, after capturing the footage, should I be editing mostly in OL or Premier?
            2. If I edit primarily in Premiere should I export AVI to MPEG2-DVD before Premiere or wait on the MPEG2 until after the editing is done? Based on your response I may not evern need Encore.
            3. Will the .AVI format present any quality issues?

Thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: Best Options for Raw Video in Onlocation CS4? ...and Stuff.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You should import the files, captured with OL, into your PR project. Now you have two choices, either use dynamic link to Encore and have Encore do the encoding for you or you can encode yourself. This requires a basic understanding of bitrate settings, which you can easily gain from using a bitrate calculator, like http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php?PHPSESSID=6501b6b2b31f4c4a295bc8c2ba1e6f57

Encore is included with PR, so why not use it? It is so easy and you can add menu structures, subtitles, etc. to your DVD's. For other export formats, like WMV, H.264 etc. you don't need Encore, unless you want to burn to BR. Just use AME.

DV AVI type2 has the advantage that it is extremely easy to edit, does not put a lot of strain on your computer and will not show any noticeable degradation in quality when exporting.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Best Options for Raw Video in Onlocation CS4? ...and Stuff.
                FattyLumpkinz Level 1

Harm,

You have convinced me. I will go from OL to Premire for the lower-third news bar (it’s a news broadcast sort of thing) and then into Encore to encode and export it. If that sounds like a reasonable plan to a veteran then I can stop bugging you and actually get this project done.

Seriously, thank you for your time.

Great calculator. Thanks for the link.

~Steve