6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 9:06 AM by the_wine_snob

How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly

howardmil18 Level 1

With a transition at the beginning of a video clip,,how can the fade in transition be gradually and nicely done?

Thanks

Howard

• 1. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Duration of a Transition can be handled semi-automatically, by setting it in Edit>Preferences, or it can be increased/decreased by dragging on one end, or another.

For many Transitions, one can create these with Keyframing various Effects, such as Opacity.

What is your exact application and what would you specifically like to have happen?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
            howardmil18 Level 1

Hi , basically, just to have the opening transition of the video segment

(from dvd) GRADUALLY open into the beginning and close at the end (youtube)

thanks

also,,,might seem dumb but I just CANT get the hang of the scene timeline ,

eg. put jpg pics in each box,,,then put audio in audio line. then how

to you match the time duration of each picture to coincide with length of

the music track?

• 3. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
              howardmil18 Level 1

Another question,,With a dvd segment edited on adobe,,,(recent high quality

classical peice) what is the BEST out put format for youtube. I have been

getting good results with : (mpeg format) under the line,,,HD 1280 by 720

high def for pc .  Is this good or is there something called svcd which I

liked

when I ripped the original segment before I learned i must use vob files for

best output results on youtube.

• 4. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Howard, if you want to do any serious editing, you don't want to be working in Sceneline mode.

Switch to Timeline mode and you'll be able to coordinate the audio with the video, control when and how your titles and transitions occur and more easily trim and arrange your clips.

As for YouTube, we've got an article on it in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390608?tstart=0

The challenge with YouTube is that not only will they re-encode whatever you put up there (destroying any quality) but they keep changing the specs of what types of files work best. So it's always a best-guess scenario.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I do 100% of my editing in Timeline View. PrPro doesn't even have a Sceneline, though there is something similar - never use it. Maybe it's because I come from a cine background, but I want to see everything layed out, as it will be used.

For Transitions, and such, I strongly recommend that one works in Timeline View. So much more control and a better visual representation in my book.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How can a transition be extended /and stretched slowly
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

Steve G. has a very good book, The Muvipix Guide to PE7, that covers all aspects of Timeline View editing. It will familiarize one with what they are seeing and how to both navigate and manipulate Assest in Timeline View. I highly recommend it for anyone working with PE. Though written with PE7 in mind, most of the book translates to pervious versions of the software. Yes, there might be some features missing in, say PE4, but the general methods will be about the same. All basic questions are covered in an easy to understand format. Great book.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS good luck with YouTube. As Steve points out, about the time everyone has it figured out, YouTube changes everything.